scarlet runner beans

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suburbanite, Aug 27, 2006.

1. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I'm not sure what the best eating stage is for these beans.

Are they best when really tiny?

When 10 inches long?

When beans start to bulge? (in which case, as 'green beans', or shelled?)

As a dried bean?

I've been eating them as green beans, raw, but they have a touch of a bitter aftertaste.

2. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

They are best young - don't let them get big and stringy. If you can catch them right before they bulge, that's the best. Never eaten them raw, but frenched and steamed they are to die for.

3. suburbanite

Thanks, better go pick them then, 'cause there's a bunch that are just about to bulge. :)

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

I like them when they're still kind of thin, and then (as Mistletoad said) at the "just before the bulge" stage.

Sure are pretty, aren't they? :)

Pony!

5. suburbanite

Okay, cut on the diagonal (frenched?), microwaved, a touch of butter. Yummy. Thanks.

Oh, yes, they are pretty plants, pretty leaves, pretty flowers, pretty beans, pretty pods, and pretty tasty. :)

6. suburbanite

Now I have too many scarlett runner beans to eat myself, but not enough to can. Any suggestions for creative green-bean recipes?

7. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

this lacks creativity, but i like it. bake them in a cream soup, maybe mushroom, and add a cracker topping or even those fried onion thingies. maybe even add some sour cream or mayonaise to the cream soup. mmmm.

8. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Blanche and freeze them in X-servings sizes. Then when you are ready to make stew, cut them up and them to the stew. They're taking up freezer space only until you're doing autumn cooking.
    BW

9. suburbanite

Okay, blanching something is basically giving it a quick dip in boiling water, right? Any hints on how long/best technique for that?

Sorry to be so ignorant. I gardened flowers for years, but this is my first year of gardening food and also my first year of changing lifestyle from 'buy what you eat tonight and have empty cupboards' to 'have 3 months of everything in hand'. So I've got a lot of patchy spots in my life-skills.