Scaring Little Kids

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by big rockpile, Oct 16, 2006.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

With Rabbit I just pull their Heads off.But Squirrels are tuffer,so I just take a Hatchet,chop their Feet,Tail,and Head off.Then make a slit across their Back,pull the Skin both ways and their done.

Well I lost my Hatchet so I've been using an Axe which I don't like.Well we was in WalMart,I found one,told my Wife this is just what I need.You know what for? She said yes,to chop Heads off.Well there was a little kid there. :eek: His eyes got a little Big :shrug: Wonder what was going through his mind? :p

big rockpile

2. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

give dat kiddo nightmares, LOL

3. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

hey rockpile....how bout you wearing your shorts(the picture you posted) and carying the axe around.....poor little fellow....well come to think of it ...the whole neighbor hood might be scared.....roflmao.....just picking at you

4. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

HMMm wonder if that would scare the inlaws........brilliant idea you have there Rock.

5. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member

Think of how scared they'd be if they actually saw you cleaning rabbits & squirrels. I can't really remember when I first saw my Dad & Grandad do this, but I can remember my Great Grandmother killing chickens when I was about 4. How soon do y'all think that kids should be exposed to butchering? By 8 I was running a trapline for muskrats, skinning them, & tanning the hides. I was also raising rabbits for meat & hides. By today's standards, exposing a young child to butchering could be considered by many to be child abuse. What do y'all think. My 4 & 5 yr old Grandkids have seen me & their fathers clean fish, & were more curious than frightened. They like to eat fish & they've eaten some that they caught, & watched us clean & cook. I'm not sure how they'd react to squirrels or rabbits.I started my kids when they were about 6 or 7. My daughter hated it untill she watched her Mom dress a rabbit & they talked about it. My wife & daughter still prefer that someone else do the butchering, but they know how.

6. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

bgak47 Hey think they should be setting to the side as Babies while Mama helps take care of meat for the Pot.In other words I don't think they are ever too young.

The grosses thing I seen was when my wife was helping me find a Deer I had Bow shot.The Arrow had hit the Lungs turned and came out the Throat.Well it had blowed Blood and Air out.made kind of a Red froth.I asked my Wife if it botherd her? She said it didn't.

I had grown Men and Women come to watch me Butcher,they just couldn't handle it.Had one Blind Woman come didn't bother her,but I did stay out of her way with a Knife.I was butchering a Beef,she was feeling and cutting the Hide off.Knowing she couldn't see I just pulled on the Hide let her have at.

big rockpile

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy

I think if they are raised knowing where the food comes from and I dont mean a grocery store, they probably wont think its that big a deal when you are processing. My son is now 13..He was born with a rifle in his hand so to speak since he did inhereit the 25.06 the minute he was born. At age 5 he got his first 22 rifle. He has always helped in some way (or made messes) when he was just a little tyke. WE raise our own birds, for the freezer, fishing, hunting etc is a way of life for us. For him its just another step involved when you make a kill, you have to gut it, clean it etc.. He is the offical dispatcher around here.. I hold the bird he uses the ax..
    They wont think its strange if its a part of their life. ALOT has to do with personality too though. My daughter was raised the same way as my son.. She wouldnt go near a dead animal to save her life. If she didnt love meat so much shed be a vegetarian. For awhile there if we were eating dinnner and she KNEW it came from one of our pens, she refused to eat the dang meat. She always asked, where did that come from? So my son and I (And this is still a secret joke we share) ..named the pens... Each pen is named after a store. My daughter does NOT know this LOL>. Winco is the main pen, MarVal another pen. SO we can honestly say oh we got that from Winco LOL.. Hee Hee It works. She devours the meat as usual... With her its a mental thing. We dont process when she is around anymore, and she very seldom asks where the meat came from nowadays. Though we still keep the pen names :)

8. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

If you are going to feed meat to your kids, then they shouldn't be sheltered from where that meat comes from. I've been around it since I was born. I admit, I can see how it is gross (all the blood and guts), but I don't think it would be traumatizing to a kid. From my experience, you have two kinds of kids-those who think it's really neat and interesting and those who think it's nasty. I don't think there's any reason for it to be upsetting, though.

9. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I think that children benefit from growing up knowing where meat comes from, but I'll tell you what happened to me.

My cousin cleaned and skinned a rabbit in the living room of his house in front of me without giving me warning. I was a city child and it made me ill for days. I can still smell that smell after over 50 years and I never came near even thinking of eating rabbit.

10. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Well, if you're a city kid and unused to that kind of stuff, sure you'd freak out. After all, you probably grew up watching bambi and just thinking rabbits were cute little forest friends that no one would want to hurt. I just meant if a kid sees it from the time they are little bitty, it's no big deal. If the kid is older, then yes, they probably should be eased into it.