Scarecrows

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jesus Saves, May 5, 2006.

1. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

Just curious, do scarecrows work?

2. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

I'll tell you this fall;)

3. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

From my experience they work for a few days till the crows get used to them.

4. commomsense

commomsense Beef,Its whats for dinner

The plastic owls seem to scare away crows.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, mine startled me for a couple days until I got used to "someone" standing in my corn patch! :shrug:

You'll know the scarecrow isn't working anymore when you walk out and see a crow perched on its head! :p

6. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

So you think that trick will work on Squirrels WnHH? Little bugger ate have my pea row sometime between yesterday evening and this bloody morning.

7. MoonShine

MoonShine Fire On The Mountain

That is so funny! I do the same thing every year...I see the scarecrow out the corner of my eye and I think someone's out there.
    My scarecrows are pathetic. I'm pretty sure the birds get a good laugh out of it,as do people that pass by. It may work a few days at tops and it usually ends up falling over.
    The trick with birds is to change tactics...they get used to everything. Play a radio for a few days,then switch to a scarecrow for a few days,etc etc...keep switching and they forget.

8. Jesus Saves

Jesus Saves Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice! I think I will try the pie tins.

9. gardentalk

gardentalk Well-Known Member

You could play a recording of this song, and see if that sends chills down the crows' spines. :)

10. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I wonder if there's anything that will thwart squirrels... lousy little tree rats. The only thing they're good for is stew.

Had one (or more) dig up rows of corn. They seem to really enjoy the seedlings when the seed is still present at the base. Just ate the base and left a row of little green leaves. :flame:

There was a PBS special a few years ago about squirrels, and how English gardeners come up with some pretty clever devices to discourage the squirrels from their gardens and bird feeders. Not a single device proved worthy to deter the squirrels.

Pony!

11. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

We've set up 4 foot fences with pie tins tied loosely every 4 feet along the top. It made alot of noise yesterday evening as the wind picked up. I'm hoping it will be enough to deter them until everything gets high enough to mulch around.