Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took both dogs out to the yard this morning as usual, went to check on the chickens, and when I came back (moments later) Wilson couldn't bear weight on his right hind leg at all and wouldn't even try to walk.

After getting him into the house, we really thought it might be his 'time', he was in terrible pain. We were ready to call the vet.

But after watching him for a while, he seems to be ok, he can get up and down on his own now and I just took him for a little leash walk outside and he even jogged a few steps.

He has had steadily worsening arthritis in his hips for a couple of years now, and he is coming on 13, so I know his time is limited, but I'm just not ready to see him go now (not that I will ever be), I think this morning he just kind of caught something in his hip trying to navigate the snow.

We'll just have to watch and see, and I won't let him off leash until the ground is better.

Poor Willy, we love him so.. we really thought for a while this morning that we were losing him today.

Here's our darling boy..

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
I'm glad it isn't his "time" yet.

I'm trying to baby an old goat through another winter and I have the same attitude that you do. I know he isn't going to live forever; I'm just trying to make him as comfortable as possible and hope he makes it to another summer of browsing.

I hope you have more time with your "puppy," especially since you lost your cat so recently.

Janis

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Glad he's doing better--could he have gotten ice or snow in his pads? My old guy (and my young guy actually) get really wimpy when this happens during this cold weather. I'm sure it hurts and looks really pathetic when they are hobbling about, but it does go away fast.

I've also had trouble with salt with my senior this winter--gets in between his toes I think and burns. He could barely walk! It was a relatively warm day (20s) and we were on a heavily salted walkway in the park--we ended up walking in the snow because it was easier on him. I've heard of it happening to dogs but this is the first time (in 12ish years) he's had a problem. I think it's just harder on the old guys :|

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was definately in his hip, when we got him in the house his whole hind end was shaking and slowly sinking down like he couldnt support the weight of his hind end..it was so hard to watch.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm glad it isn't his "time" yet.

I'm trying to baby an old goat through another winter and I have the same attitude that you do. I know he isn't going to live forever; I'm just trying to make him as comfortable as possible and hope he makes it to another summer of browsing.

I hope you have more time with your "puppy," especially since you lost your cat so recently.

Janis
Thanks Janis..yes, too close to loosing Scuffs, we just gat the bill for her euthanasia in the mail yesterday... and one of my favorite chickens died Tuesday week after me trying to nurse her back to health in the house for several days.

I hope your goat pulls through..it can't be easy in this cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts