Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where any of you scared to handle your bees? How did you get over it?
As a child ,teen and young adult I have been terified of anything that flies and stings. Although I an quite certin I have never been stung by a honey bee.And I no longer run screaming at the sight of yellow and black but I do have recurrent nighmares about hornets...lol.
But all that said beekeeping excites me I could spent hours a day reading up on it.I have wanted to beekeep for years but Im just afraid my fear is going to get the best of me.Anyone else ever feel like this? :eek:
Rachel:viking:

G

·
I've never been scared of bees. Not even when I was a kid.

Poisonous snakes and spiders is a whole 'nuther thing...

·
Registered
676 Posts
I was horrible to bees as a kid I think thats why god made me a beekeeper
i was 5 or 6 when i stopped being afraid of bees probably because i got stung
so much running around barefoot through clover.

actually thats not quite true I still fear them but have learned to listen to them
They will tell you when they are getting fed up you just have to learn to listen
the stings will pass for most people.

my oldest boy showing his uncle how to find queens

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ladycat, I love snakes and spiders no issues there.

damoc all I gotta say is WOW that is such a cool pic, can tell your son grew up with bees his uncle on the other hand looks a little less sure...lol

·
Registered
330 Posts
Buy a good suit with a zip on veil. Wear gloves. As you get more confident and find yourself thinking more about what you're doing and less about getting stung, work your way down from there until you get more comfortable. Hang out with beekeepers who only wear a veil. :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
You will get to know them and be relaxed around them. Here I am hiving a swarm.

Here I am removing a colony from a house.

This is the colony I am removing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Showoff...lol. Iddee, I bet those people were happy to see you. Did you get stung at all?:clap:

Funny as it seems getting stung isnt what scares me I have been swarmed by hornets (the nasty ground kind ) so thats what my fear is.
I have heard wearingf gloves makes it harder to feel the bees and you can accidently squish then any truth to that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone know if my chickens will bother my bees? Just happen to think of that .Hopefully they wont be like "buffet yay!!":confused:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have arthritis and use bee stings for relief, so if I don't get stung often enough, I aggravate them until they do. Many times I remove my shirt when removing them, as they will get under it and sting when they get trapped. As long as they are free to fly, they just crawl on me and fly away. Yes, gloves can pinch them and make them sting. They will also make you clumsier, as you can't feel what you are doing as well, and when you drop a frame of bees on your foot, you can expect a "few" stings.

As for the chickens, they will be a great benefit to the bees. They do not eat worker bees, but will eat wax moths and other insects on and around the hives.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
"Nervous" might be a more accurate word than "scared". Let's be real: opening a box filled with 60,000 stinging insects is not what the "average" person does for fun.
Wear enough protective gear so that you feel "comfortable". As time goes on, you'll become more confident and relaxed dealing with your bees. I wore gloves my first two years, then stopped, although I keep them with me for those days when the girls have an attitude.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'll admit I got a bit gun shy this summer. I was operating for a while without any protection. Nice and careful. My bees are pretty even tempered.

Then I got popped right above my eye. It swelled shut from three or four days.

Normally when I get stung there is some slight swelling and often times none. Weeks later I got three times when some bees got stuck in my pant legs and I had not even realized it till I felt a little itching later than day.

So, I wear jacket and/or head gear. Manipulating the hive without gloves is SOOOOOOOO much better, for you and the bees.

I probably killed two or three queens last spring wearing gloves and agitated them more with them than without them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wasn't afraid, but I was respectful. I knew if I was going to be smashing them, they weren't going to be friendly. :hobbyhors When I first started out, I had a full suite and gloves. I was getting stung under my veil. So I bought a better quality suite. Then I decided it was much more awkward using gloves and thought I'd try working my gentle hive without gloves. That went well. I found I got stung less, when I didn't use gloves. Then I figured why wear the suite? So, I now tend my bees in a white "T" shirt and veil. I do wear a suite when I'm pulling honey from the hives. :gossip: They still have trouble sharing. :goodjob: Mike Bush in comment #7 is good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts