scammers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by saralee, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:01 PM.

1. saralee

saralee Well-Known Member

got an amazon fire tablet for xmas. Wi-fi only. Have router, but have never personally used it. So contacted the tech help for the router and was directed to a lovely gentleman from India who told me the problem getting the router to work was in the computer. Hey, what do I know. I am so tech ignorant i'm still in the 1900's. After a bit of him coaching me to do this and do that, which I gladly did since he was the router's representative, I began to wonder--esp when he began wanting $$. To him. So ended session and contacted the router's telephone help. Who assured me that the nice man was a scammer. And that they could repair any damage he did to the computer--for a price. So I hung up. And still can't use my pretty tablet. And changed all my passwords. And feel my faith in humanity ebbing further away. So--how can you tell if the helpful people who answer the "help" are truly helpers or scammers?

2. geo in mi

geo in mi Well-Known Member Supporter

3. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

I am happy to be assisting you today. First we must establish a solid basis of trust. If you would just give me your bank account number and password.................................

nehimama likes this.
  4. Clem

Clem Realist

If you send a PM to the member "Nevada" I imagine he'd be glad to walk you through the router setup. There is a password on the back of the computer, your computer or tablet will recognize the router and all you need to do is enter the password.

That's all I know, but there are several members that are really good with that sort of stuff. If you post in the computers section, maybe.

Twp.Tom and RichNC like this.
  5. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

Yup ran into one of them when we bought a fancy HP printer which included a removeable controller. Instead of looking thru the instructions I couldn't under stand any way to find the HP help line phone number I searched the net for HP help. Got a guy who couldn't hardly speak english I could under stand. Got fed up with having him repete just about every thing and when he aske dfor a credit card number I said KMA and hung up.
    I then kept getting spam calls because he had got my phone number. Had to have ther Michigan office of the attorney general handle it to get the calls to stop. he just changed the number and started in again so again the attorney general got involved and it finally stopped.

Took the printer back to where i bought it after I had talked to him, and their tec people helped me set it up.

:D Al

hunter63 and nehimama like this.
  6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

7. Ben10

Ben10 Active Member

Sorry someone took you for a ride. As a tech person(its my job) a few rules for you or anybody else. If it sounds to good to be true it very likely is. If Microsoft calls you PLEASE just hang up. If you need help call said company dont just google the phone number go to the company site and find support/contact us. I like dell so its www.dell.com/support. If all else fails find a local computer repair shop and ask for help. I have my side business to help people like you, It makes me mad when people get scammed. Like someone else said check your router it likely says your SSID(wifi name) and the password for it on the back or under it.

8. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

"Like someone else said check your router it likely says your SSID(wifi name) and the password for it on the back or under it."

Ours does and every time we loose power have to redo the pass word so it is a good Idea to learn it and how to do it.

:D Al

9. Ben10

Ben10 Active Member

Sounds like a cheap one or old, login on a computer to it and check for a firmware update. Mine was 300 bucks 3 years ago and I still get support with firmware for it.