Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just estimating how much I've spent on this tooth. I had a root canal and a cap and then a few years later another root canal. I think these fixes let me keep the tooth an extra 7 years. Anyway, today when I went for my cleaning and check-up the dentist said the second root canal has failed and his advice would be to let the tooth go, so Thursday I'm going to the place he referred me to have it out. They estimate it will cost between $100 and $195. I hope they plan to give me a shot. When I had the second root canal that dentist (not my regular guy) said I didn't need a shot since the tooth had had a root canal. I insisted on a shot anyway and he acted like I was crazy. I was there because I was in pain so it didn't make sense that I didn't need a shot. I'm going to insist on a shot Thursday, too.

·
Premium Member
6,031 Posts
With dentist fees so ridiculously high its hard to know what is the right thing to do. Obviously keeping our own teeth should be a priority, but with a simple cap now over $600 its hard to know which way to go. We've been involved in a transfer of wealth (what little we have) from us to medical providers and medical insurance companies for the last 8 years. Today was $308 for a new pair of glasses...

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Yeah, make him give you a shot. If you've shelled out all that, they can spring for a shot.

Maybe you can have it made into a piece of jewelry--a charm for a bracelet, a pendant, a ring-? At least then you might feel better about the expense.

A $2500 hunk of jewelry sounds better than a failed tooth. :)

·
Registered
31,750 Posts
mellba said:
I'm just estimating how much I've spent on this tooth. I had a root canal and a cap and then a few years later another root canal. I think these fixes let me keep the tooth an extra 7 years. Anyway, today when I went for my cleaning and check-up the dentist said the second root canal has failed and his advice would be to let the tooth go, so Thursday I'm going to the place he referred me to have it out. They estimate it will cost between $100 and $195. I hope they plan to give me a shot. When I had the second root canal that dentist (not my regular guy) said I didn't need a shot since the tooth had had a root canal. I insisted on a shot anyway and he acted like I was crazy. I was there because I was in pain so it didn't make sense that I didn't need a shot. I'm going to insist on a shot Thursday, too.
Shoot, I can beat that. I have a $4500 tooth! Well, it's an implant. My I-don't-know-how-much-tooth broke & I swallowed 1/2 of it!! Had a crown & everything. Hmmm, maybe just a filling. Anyway, opted for the implant so it would last as long as me. Hope I don't have to have any more.

Good luck w/yours-

Patty

·
Registered
473 Posts
Spent a FORTUNE trying to keep teeth that were bad since childhood :flame:

Drill,fill,drill,fill,crown,crown falls off,re-attach,absess at root :grump: :grump:

Got fed up after THREE absesses AT THE SAME TIME!!!! AGONY!!!

Visit to oral surgeon- 28 at one time while unconscious.

Regrettable, but should have done it decades ago.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Sorry to hear this Mellba!

And on the subject of dentists... when we were kids, a dentist did most all types of work, from drilling to pulling teeth and root canals. What's the deal with our 'regular' dentists now sending us off to other dental experts for root canals and another to pull teeth?

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
i had a tooth pulled last year and they shot me up with novacaine. i guess if ya have to ask for a shot when they are pulling a tooth i woulnt go to that dentist---that just sounds cruel. good luck

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had mine voluntarily removed a few years ago. I was only 40 but felt like 80 (joint, muscle pain, headaches, insomnia, constant nasal drip). The dentist gave me grief (we like to keep teeth around here & I wasn’t having problems!) until I explained to him that it wasn’t really a tooth but a shadow of it’s former self & if he didn’t remove it then I would do it with pliers. So he did and I had him burr it out by an additional 1mm. Within 2 weeks I was back at the top of my game including that losing the last stubborn 10 pounds. The tooth (molar) was just as I suspected, infected. The roots were black. He showed it to me afterwards & stated “glad we got that out of there!”. I certainly didn’t go looking for that really really expensive tooth as the root (pun intended) of my health problems but it certainly did turn out to be for me. I was feeling so bad I was willing to take that chance since medical tests turned up nothing. I credit Dr. Meinig (Root Canal Myth) with saving my life & my $$$.

In closing I would like to say if you want the shot you demand the shot. Remember, he who generates the gold makes the rules. If your dentist refuses I would find another doctor. Don’t let them bully you.

Hillside

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I've had 2 teeth pulled and one more that needs to come out, it broke a couple of weeks ago. I'm saving the money to get it out. All three are the ones that had root canals. :shrug: I'll never pay for another one. :grump:

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I was just too ignorant when told I needed a root canal. I really thought it would save the tooth. Had I been told as Wind In Her Hair mentions that the tooth was on its last leg, I'd have said to pull it. The guy who did the second root canal was the most arrogant man I've ever seen. When I asked him what made him think he'd succeed where the first dentist didn't he said he knew what he was doing. When he finished after the second visit he admitted that he hadn't been successful, but said maybe it would be all right anyway--yeah, right. I think he said he couldn't find one of the canals. If I tried to fix something and had to admit I couldn't after bragging about how good I was, I'd feel funny taking somebody's money, but he didn't offer to knock anything off my bill. Well, it lasted four more years, but I'd sure think twice before having another root canal. I'm still wondering about the pain thing because when the first root canal went bad I had the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. Pain pills did nothing to help and I ended up going to the doctor for a shot.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
The tooth (molar) was just as I suspected, infected. The roots were black. He showed it to me afterwards & stated “glad we got that out of there!”. I certainly didn’t go looking for that really really expensive tooth as the root (pun intended) of my health problems but it certainly did turn out to be for me.
How could they not see this bone damage and decay in an x-ray?

Mellba, I can commiserate. I spent a lot of money having a crown lengthening and crown buildup after a root canal, because my dentist convinced me to try to save the tooth...he said the odds were in my favor...so I believed him. Then, in the crown buildup, he put in a pin that perforated the root of the tooth, causing bone damage and infection...and for some reason, even though the root is perfectly straight and the pin is at a diagonal (as is evidenced in the x-ray) he is somehow not at fault. His years of dental schooling and practice and expertise (what I am paying for, no?) didn't mean squat, because it's beyond his control if he makes mistake, right?

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
mare said:
i had a tooth pulled last year and they shot me up with novacaine. i guess if ya have to ask for a shot when they are pulling a tooth i woulnt go to that dentist---that just sounds cruel. good luck
I'm with you Mare!

What's a crown lengthening?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.