Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this website. I ended up here while looking about the easiest way to clear "scrub" brush acreage.
I liked the site so well I joined.

We bought 80 acres in the Ozarks in Missouri last winter. 70 is beautiful woods and 10 WAS used for grazing cattle for a few years but has been laying dormant for 21 years. Needless to say the 10 acres of "scrub" is really 10 acres chocked full of trees (now) up to about 6". We are going to build there soon, so my task has been to come up with a way to clear the open land and prepare a build site.
I will continue to visit here as I see from all of the posts that a lot of subject matter is covered.

Cheers,
Pervil

·
Registered
I'm on lifetime homesteading project number 5, all in Indiana and Michigan.
190 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this website. I ended up here while looking about the easiest way to clear "scrub" brush acreage.
I liked the site so well I joined.

We bought 80 acres in the Ozarks in Missouri last winter. 70 is beautiful woods and 10 WAS used for grazing cattle for a few years but has been laying dormant for 21 years. Needless to say the 10 acres of "scrub" is really 10 acres chocked full of trees (now) up to about 6". We are going to build there soon, so my task has been to come up with a way to clear the open land and prepare a build site.
I will continue to visit here as I see from all of the posts that a lot of subject matter is covered.

Cheers,
Pervil
Welcome, and good show grabbing some of that Ozarks dirt. Keep us informed and let us know how we can help.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Controlled burn is my thought. Would go quick if the weather was right. Might have to coordinate with your local fire dept, but fire makes everything clean. Try whacking all of it down and you will have piles of whacked vegetation to deal with. Good luck my man, that's quite an estate you've got :D

Reactions: pervil

·
Registered
16,009 Posts
Welcome Pervil. The ease of clearing land can depend on your back and your budget.
I used to clear brush on foot with a chain saw and loppers. Then I aged into a tractor and brush hog. Now I use a mini excavator to pop trees from the ground and snatch clumbs of brush. If you don't have the equipment to start you could always hire locals for mowing and clearing.
The Ozarks is beautiful country and lots of good people. Illinois is probably sorry to see another one go.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Welcome, Pervil! Congratulations on your move.,,,,We escaped from behind the Tax, Regulation & Graft Curtain of IL 7 y/a too.

Just putting cattle back on the degraded pasture will quickly help re-establish a better habitat. (Goats may work quicker, but are so hard to fence in.)...You may have a neighbor with an established herd who wants to rent the pasture and save you the bother.....If you're going to clear the land, try to save a few trees to make it a savannah instead of an open pasture-- the shade is preferable for livestock.

·
Registered
7,445 Posts
Are the trees large enough for firewood? I would begin with cutting a fence row around the property, then building the fence. Next I would cut roads through the property, so you can get around. Just stack the wood where you cut it for now. If there are any open areas, plant food plots for deer. The next time there is a thunder storm, go walk the property, and find out which areas are sheltered from the wind. Locate the low spots that might get boggy. Don't just charge in and build a house, then find out later that is floods every time it rains.

A chainsaw and a small tractor would be a good start for equipment.

·
Super Moderator
11,134 Posts
are you going to be living on site doing the work yourself? supervising the build or are you hiring it all done while you stay in your current house till you have a place to move into?

if you are not going to be there every day to do work then an excavating company will likely have or have someone who uses a skid loader mounted brush

like this
you mark the trees you want to keep with a bunch of flagging tape and they leave those
then your excavating company can grade it with a dozer and dig your footings or basement , they will need to come in and dig a perk for you also first

·
Premium Member
24,826 Posts
Welcome to the site, and (belatedly) to the neighborhood. :)

DH and I are refugees from Ill-annoy as well. Left over 10 years ago now, and aside from missing decent pizza, hot dogs, and Greek food, we're all good.

The land on which we sit was also used for cattle about 20 years ago, but the land in the 'Zarks wants to, needs to, and will always revert to Oak/Hickory forest unless you beat it back.

We raise dairy goats, and many neighbors have scrub goats. I really like @muleskinner2's suggestions. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your homestead will take a few years, too.

Don't know how local you are to me, but you can pm if you've a mind to do so.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures, and answering any questions with which I can help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the site, and (belatedly) to the neighborhood. :)

DH and I are refugees from Ill-annoy as well. Left over 10 years ago now, and aside from missing decent pizza, hot dogs, and Greek food, we're all good.

The land on which we sit was also used for cattle about 20 years ago, but the land in the 'Zarks wants to, needs to, and will always revert to Oak/Hickory forest unless you beat it back.

We raise dairy goats, and many neighbors have scrub goats. I really like @muleskinner2's suggestions. Rome wasn't built in a day, and your homestead will take a few years, too.

Don't know how local you are to me, but you can pm if you've a mind to do so.

Looking forward to reading about your adventures, and answering any questions with which I can help.
We will be north of Willow Springs out there in the timber. One gravel/dirt road runs by property. God's country for sure.

·
Registered
Currently living on a "tiny homestead" in a small town subdivision but looking to buy land soon!
2 Posts
are you going to be living on site doing the work yourself? supervising the build or are you hiring it all done while you stay in your current house till you have a place to move into?

if you are not going to be there every day to do work then an excavating company will likely have or have someone who uses a skid loader mounted brush

like this
you mark the trees you want to keep with a bunch of flagging tape and they leave those
then your excavating company can grade it with a dozer and dig your footings or basement , they will need to come in and dig a perk for you also first
That Timber Ax is AMAZING! Pricey too, I see! LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts