Sawzall...good tool to have around?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Ravenlost, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm thinking about asking my hubby to get me a Sawzall for my birthday next month, but I don't know a lot about them.

Are they easy to use?

Can I use it to cut small trees for use as poles, etc. in my garden? Or to cut firewood?

Would it be more convenient than my table saw?

Should I ask him for a gazebo down by the pond instead? :p

2. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

Had to replace the blade lots but we saw through all sorts of stuff with ours.

If he builds you a gazebo can I ask for a barn?

Vanessa

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Most universal tool I can Think Of . Somebody is making a battery powered unit that has a much more user friendly grip but I can't remember the name . The regular sawzall needs a better grip for the left hand in my opinion . Although a large male hand will not have any problem controlling the direction of the cut a Female , smaller hand will have a problem getting a good grip with their Left hand . You should Hold each model Before making a decision . A sawzall is just a big hacksaw with a motor . They only cut in one direction , i.e. they cut on the 'pull' stroke . That new , battery powered model looks like it would be much more suited for a female operator . fordy... :)

4. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

Dh purchased the Dewalt 18volt tool set that had a drill and sawsall in it..We love them. I think we use the sawsall more on the farm than any other saw. It's great on metal, plastic, wood. I used it to cut the dead limbs off some of my orchard trees, I have used it to trim scrubs and such where the limbs/branches, stems are too large for my hand pruners or big pruners (usually up to 4 inchs in dia.). He has cut up metal and plastic pipe, fence post trimming. It's not as clean and smooth cut as a table saw or circular saw, but it is portable and I can handle it really easy.

5. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

INDESPENSIBLE!!! great for pruning, naily wood,cutting metal where sparks are a problem (or other wise) . when ours gives up the ghost ,we run out and get the best warrentied sawzall. have had the rechargeable type but rather have the 110 and a gen or a power inverter

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I had a real nice one but couldn't use it because the vibration made my hands go numb.

7. george darby

george darby Well-Known Member

very handy useful for butchering work too a lot easier than using the meat saw and less bone chips than with the chainsaw works right thru frozen meat and bone nice for all the little pipe work and od metal piece you need to saw

8. Obser

Obser "Mobile Homesteaders"

We don't use ours often -- just when it is the only power tool that will do the job. Cordless 18 volt works best for us because we are often away from 110 AC -- and because we dislike extension cords.

9. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

The cordless version is a great tool when butchering larger animals.

10. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

I am still wondering how I lived before I bought a Milwaukee Sawzall.
    clove

11. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

A girl can't have too many cutting tools. That said, I LOVE my SawsAll. Mine is the elec (with cord) model. My handspan isn't big enough to simultaneously press both latches to release a rechargeable battery pack. It's why I don't use the cordless drill much, if at all.

NeHi Mama

12. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Mine (Firestone) fits my hands fine, but I have to really concentrate to overcome the vibration-For me I use it more than any other tool for quick jobs-a quick cut of a tree (small), cutting a barrel in half, pvc etc. You specifically asked about firewood-only if it's small-won't take the place of an axe for splitting.

13. Ravenlost

It saws METAL and PLASTIC??? Well, I guess I know what I want for my birthday then, although I usually ask for power tools at Christmas.

I'm a lefty with large female hands. I've had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand too. Will I be able to handle it? I do all the weedeating...does it vibrate more than the weedeater?

LOL...vancom, if hubby were going to build the gazebo I'd just as soon do without!

14. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

Yes, it vibrates more than a weedeater, but you can do it-again it's just a matter of mind over matter, except for individual cases where I'm sure it's impossible to ignore, as Cyn says. It absolutely saws through metal and plastic or is that why I had to buy a new one this year?

15. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I have had CT on both hands and use mine all the time. It does vibrate but if you make sure to place it's 'feet' on the object and use a vise to hold it it works great..

16. elkhound

elkhound Well-Known Member Supporter

get the sawsall you will love it.you get different blades for wood ..metal..etc.and different lengths.i got some 12 inch blades that saw thru wood and metal for demolishion.going to saw walls of mobile home and then use tractor to push or pull a section off frame .make way for the new log house.yyyyiipppyyyyyy

17. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

Yup - good tool . I have a ryobi 18v cordless . The battery is hard for me to get out also - but I manage . Get one !!!!

18. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

i'm a former lefty (hands there, just don't work well!) and can use a sawzall for quite a time till it hurts, longer than a chain saw.some have better padding than others ,if you can try a few! or build your own gel pack padding .works very well on small brush as well as fire wood.plastic wood, metal, rubber,bone ,no good on stone or concrete (that i have found!)

19. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Thats the 'Real' Sawzall BTW,they invented it.I have the one with the quick change blade thing.Its an awesome tool,got the best one they had and boy do I think I made a smart buy.Cuts pipes,wood,trim trees,etc.

Buy good blades too,worth it.
    And get a selection of blades on hand so you can cut just about anything.

BooBoo

20. Ravenlost

Well now y'all are getting me all excited! :p There's so much I'd like to do in my garden (like build my wattle fence) and this sounds like exactly what I need.

Plus, it sounds like I could really help hubby with firewood...while he's sawing up the trunk of the tree I could be sawing up the limbs.

I bet I could even use it to saw a hole in the back door to install a doggie door!

:dance: