Sawdust toilet - what about your grey water?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TexasMom, Jul 26, 2005.

1. TexasMom

TexasMom Member

I've been reading the thread on the sawdust toilet with interest. We have been discussing this option for a year or so, and have finally decided to give it a try. But what do you do with your greywater? We don't have a septic; kind of a lagoon/cesspool (which is totally illegal here, but it doesn't smell and we're pretty far off the road and isolated). I'm wanting to guess cover all that up and dig another hole in a different location and fill it with with rocks (or gravel). Pipe the drain pipe into the bottom of that pit. Cover with a foot or so of dirt. Would this work? What do the other sawdust toilet users do?

Thanks.
    Linda

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I don't have a sawdust toilet or greywater system but I did a lot of research about them when I lived in WI and was considering a composting toilet.

Here's a link to a simple greywater system, it might have some information you could use.

http://www.oasisdesign.net/greywater/brancheddrain/

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

we have a comercial (small) compost toilet and a gray water set up ourselves. Our gray water from shower, dishes, bathroom sink goes to a regular drain pipe that drains into several 55 gal drums which i then use in the garden and such. In the winter (when our world totally freezes over we just divert it from the barrels and let it run out and become an ice flow which in the spring melts and helps prepare the garden area for planting.

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

when we build the house this fall, we're just gonna put in a drain field for the grey water. In our area, you don't have to have a septic if you aren't getting rid of waste...

5. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

One of the good things the original owner of our place did was run the kitchen waste water out into the field behind the house a good 100' away.
    Also he put the washer line out into another part of same field.

Funny though, all the grass is brown except where the pipes end. I do have to be careful when I mow it not to run the lawn tractor into the small swall ditch.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

I grew up in a house that had the grey water drain into the citrus trees.Worked very well,but i doubt it was legal in SoCal.

BooBoo

7. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

our house has a greywater system-everything goes out into one pasture, except toilet waste. if i had a sawdust toilet, i'd take it out to the back and fill in that gully