Saw an add in the Pennysaver

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by birdie_poo, Mar 31, 2005.

1. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

Flemmish Giants $150. each.

Now, I'm thinking, that is a lot more than I would pay. I wonder, would you pay that?

I am pretty sure the guy we got our does from is selling them, or worse, his family is because he probably passed on.

When I got my does, he had a photocopy family tree with the info penciled in. so I guess my does were pure or registered or somehing, but we use them for meat so the lines weren't important, however, we didn't pay near that much. I think, in all, I got 2 does for $75, and three bucks for $50. Ok, I paid more than I ever would have inthe past, but I think I got a better deal than one for $150!

2. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

It could be a misprint; perhaps they're selling for $15.00? I've seen classifieds misprint information plenty of times...

3. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

$150 for a proven, registered grand champion buck isn't bad... I'd pay it. You know the old goat saying, "A buck is half your herd"? Well, same's true for bunnies. But for just your average little ole Flemish boy... well... that's a little much... for a doe it's far too much.

4. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

And here I was thinking that the $50 and $35 is saw for Flemish Giants in the local saver was high!

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

If it is the guy I bought mine from, then I don't think it is a missprint. Even if it's someone else selling his rabbits, I don't think it is a missprint, because he has sold them for that much.

However, when I bought mine, non of them were proven, in fact they weren't breeding age yet, so I bought mine blind. One ended up being a nest abandoner, so I gave her one last try, she gave me 7 kits and tried to burry them alive. I ended up putting the babies in with 2 other does that kindled the same time, and I lost one of them. I now have 3 proven does from that litter.

I was just shocked that there was the ad, first off, since no one has seen or heard from the guy in a while. I think I will give him a call and see if I can't barter...maybe there is a brick wall with customers not responding and I can barter him down a bit.

6. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Yeah, I paid $50 ea. for my foundation stock, but they were really nice show quality juniors from a nationally known breeder. It was well worth it to start with quality animals (I've tried the dirt cheap penny saver variety of bunnies and was sorely disappointed). If you intend to breed commercially or show rabbits, buy the best you can get. If you start w/ inferior animals, you'll have to spend a lot of time and money upgrading your herd--it's a whole lot easier to get good quality animals in the first place even if they are expensive. Think of it as an investment in the future of your herd. :) Ok, getting off the soap box now...

7. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

I find that comment a little on the amusing side - around here, and at all of the rabbit shows I've been to - the does always sell for more than the bucks. Is there something special about the Flemish that makes the bucks sell for more than the does?

Speaking of Flemish, it took them three and half hours to judge them this past Saturday at the show in Fulton, NY -- there were apparently over a hundred of them. Unfortunately for us, the Harlequins were after the Flemish and two other breeds. Oi!