Homesteading Forum banner

Saw a vid on U Tube about a different way to plant S taters

858 views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Fourthistles 
#1 ·
She had 4 trunks of trees laid out in a square? She put 4in of mulch in it, nd laid what looked like just store bought S Taters a foot apart in/on the mulch and covered it up with a lot of hay. Watered it down to keep the hay in place and put more on as needed. 6 months later she harvested. The length of time was cause of having to wait for the taters to sprout. Think ill try that. I have the logs, and can get free mulch.

#5 ·
I find that sweet potatos either refuse to get going or else they grow like bad weeds. Feast or famine.

Late this winter I got some sweet potatos to sprout and I have been potting up the sprouts. As each potted up sprout gets large enough I tuck it into the garden

I have no idea if sweet potatos are sprayed with something to stop them from sprouting the way that they do with English potatos, but, just to be sure I bought my sprouting potatos that were organic

#10 ·
Keeping in mind that sweet potatoes and regular potatoes are in no way related to one another botanically, the hay method should work but require a very long growing season. Sweet potatoes also need lots of heat so a sunny location is important, but they don't need to be hilled up like regular potatoes because they don't create solanine in the skins. They can grow very close to the surface of the soil and are fine. I've also found that if you let them dry out at any time during growing it really reduces their harvest. I'm in northern Wyoming and believe it or not I get good harvests by growing my sweet potatoes in stacked tires 2 deep in a full sun location.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.