saw a fox or coyote or something this morning in our front yard.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Crystal H, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

Curious sight...city-girl hasn't seen to many wild things in her front yard before! I was just surpised to see it as it was 10 am and it was so bold. Looked right at us in the house. Sent our dogs after it and it ran off.

At first, I thought it was a neighbors dog as I wasn't wearing my glasses. Nope, a wild thing.

Kind of cool, kind of not cool as we have chickens and other livestock.

Crystal

2. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Probably a coyote there getting thicker than fleas all threw the US.

And welcome to the country.Although i here there also visiting the cities from time to time. :D
    I dought you need be concerned about your livestock.I haven't heard of them bothering anything as of yet.Though if it was a fox they do prefer chicken from what i here.

3. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Foxes are quite small, the size of a cat. If your husband doesn't mind, have him mark around your territory.

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd bet 20 bucks it was coyote.

The foxes I've seen have always been on the move. Coyote will stand still and stare you down.

5. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Coyotes have been a menace to our poultry at our place the past 2 years.

6. Crystal H

Crystal H Well-Known Member

It was a coyote. Will keep a look out.

7. PinonHillLady

PinonHillLady Well-Known Member

I really HATE it when the wild things get my chickens; however, I do like to see 'um off the homestead from time to time. Our dogs did a decent job of keeping them out of the yard till they got so old. Now they're asleep on the deck and the coyotes are IN the coop!!

This reminded me of a story, too. When we first moved to CA from NJ, we were walking along the South Bay Slough when I thought I saw something in the water.

I pointed it out to my daughter, then 2, and said, "Look, honey! A seal!"

Behind me, I heard (in the snobbiest of voices) "Tsk, that's a sea otter!"

It takes a while to identify the native critters.

8. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

I'll not only wager it was a coyote but also a YOUNG coyote. They are very daring. When we lived in the mountains of central CA, they were so bold that they would actually stroll down the street in housing developments that were right next to the mountains (all on half-acre to 1-acre plots and many not fenced.)
    If he's seen you've got chickens or rabbits, he'll be back! Shore up the coop security if it has been something you've been needing to do but put off.
    BW

9. famer_manda

famer_manda I Love CHICKENS!

I lost 6 chickens to a coyote this spring. I had thought it was owls at night at first until I watched a coyote run into our yard just after dawn and chase the chickens. I shot at it but didn't hit but it didn't come back after that. Mandas buffet had closed its doors and we build a better coop after that.

Human urine will spook many creatures from your yard but that coyote wasn't deterred by it. I wonder if sometimes coyotes can be hungry enough not to care about the threat of human scent or maybe it was just used to it.