saving seeds

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wendy, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I planted some Wando peas this year. Can I keep some of them & dry them to plant next year? Will they grow or do you have to do something special? Does this also apply to greenbeans & lima beans. Would like to save my own seeds if possible, but not sure how to do it.

2. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

If the plants are not hybrid let the seed pods dry on the vine. Then bring the pods inside shell them out, let dry for a week or so on paper plates, and store them in an airtight container in a dark cool place until Spring. :cowboy:

3. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    Peas and beans aren't hybrids, just named varieties, and many people save seeds each year from them. Just let them mature and dry on the vine, then harvest, bag and label!

I have been collecting and growing/saving seed of both beans and peas for years, as sometimes an heirloom variety suddenly goes away. Peas and beans usually don't cross due to insect pollination (although I have heard of it happening with "greasy" cut-short beans) - they usually self-pollinate.

Last year I grew out 5 heirloom pole beans. One of them is Case Knife, one of the oldest named varieties in the US, it dates back to circa 1700. I bought it on a whim and luckily saved seed, as it became unavailable commercially; there are only 2 of us (known) in the world who now have the seed, which we share through the Seed Savers Exchange.

Also, if you save your own seed each year, after a period of time, your seeds will have adapted to your local climate and perform better for you than boughten seed.