saving seeds ? 's

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Mrs_stuart, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

I have never really saved seeds before but i wanted to this year. I have several heirloom tomatoes, squash, okra, cucumbers and such and i really dont know how to "save the seeds" especially on the tomatoes since they are so small and such. The squash and okra seem like they would be pretty easy but what about the "juicy" things like tomatoes and the stuff like cucumbers...how do i harvest and save the seeds. Thanks.

Belinda

2. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

If you think tomato seeds are small... try looking at an "alyssum" seed. (flower)

When I save my tomato seeds, I wash the 'slime' off them, then put them in a small, tin tart pan in the windowsill to dry completely and then bag them (or jar them).

3. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

4. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

Thank you both...

I did check out the website and it actually had a step by step photos showing the saving of tomato seeds using a fermantation process. It really
    doesnt sound that hard. I appreciate the help!!

Belinda

5. Colleen in WI

Colleen in WI Well-Known Member

Thanks Gayle! I was thinking just this morning about saving seed from the tomato plants that I grew from Pauqebot's free seeds. Now I can :happy:

6. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Yep, Victory Seeds site is the best one that I've found for showing how things are done. That's the site that I usually link to on GW whenever I get a chance. You can also go back to last September to find my tomato seed saving thread. I do it for about 25 tomato varieties per year so I do have just a bit of experience!

Martin

7. Gayle in KY

Gayle in KY Gadabout

Martin, I thought you'd approve, since I got the site from you. ;)