Saving Seeds or Trying to Save seeds that should have been saved already!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by CnySolar, Nov 16, 2004.

1. CnySolar

CnySolar Member

Hello,

Can I save seeds from my tomatoes that have been out in the frost for a couple weeks now? I know, What are they doing outside still?

How should I go about doing this if they are saveable?

Thanks,

Brian
    Parish, NY

2. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

Brian, it's worth a try. First cut open the tomatos, scrape out the seed pulp. Put in a jar with water up to about 1" from the top,I use a quart jar. Shake good and let seeds sit for about a week. The seeds and pulp will separate. Carefully scrape pulp and weeds off the top of water, you might half to do this a couple of times. What you are after is the seeds on the bottom, they are the "good" ones. you might even change the water out to get the right results. Then when you have the good seeds, strain off into a piece of cloth. The little seed ball you get then spread out on a piece of another cloth and let dry. If you are wondering if these seeds are good, take about 10 or 15 and plant them. Most of them should come up. Say you plant 10 and 7 sprout seeds I figure you have 70% germination.... shadowwalker

3. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

They should be just fine, so long as the tomatoes were ripe.

4. CnySolar

CnySolar Member

So, I shouldn't mess with the unripe tomatoes. I have alot of those and only a few ripe ones.

Brian

5. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Well, there should be plenty of seeds in the few ripe tomatoes. From the unripe tomatoes you will likely have a much lower germination rate, and the plants won't thrive as well.

6. paquebot2

paquebot2 Guest

As long as the fruit was near maturity, the seeds should be viable even though the tomato was still green.

There's a thread on saving tomato seeds currently on page 7 or 8 of this forum. For some unknown reason, I can't link it to this reply.:-(

Martin