saving seed year to year?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by hisenthlay, Dec 29, 2005.

1. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

What do you do with the seeds that you bought but don't have enough space to plant (like, if you only plant half the packet because nobody needs THAT many cucumbers)? How long will they last if you, say, put them in the freezer? Is there a better way to store them? I wouldn't mind a decreased rate of germination over the years, as long as some of the seeds were still viable.

(Can you tell I'm trying to justify buying all the different varieties of stuff I want???) :D

2. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Over the course of time the germination rate may reduce, but they still grow. You can check the germination rate by putting a few in moist paper towels in a zip lock bag and seeing how many germinate.

Freezing helps keep them longer with higher germination rates. I try to trade what I don't use for something that I will use. And I try to give away seeds every year.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Seed companies pick up their seed in the fall and then test them by lot numbers. They will print the expected germination rate on the packets. Keep them in a sealed jar in the frig till next spring.

4. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Thanks again, you two. I'll go ahead and buy my many varieties, then, and save what I can. With a small garden and seed packets running at about $1.15, I can't do tooooo much damage to the pocketbook.

I like the idea of exchanging seeds--I'll sign up for that on this list if people are doing it. It seems like such a good idea--exchanging somthing you have lots of and don't want for something you have none of and really want! I don't know many people locally who would be interested in seeds, unfortunately. There are a few, but they mostly either have what they need already (they like to stick with the same stuff each year), or they just grow a tomato plant or two for the novelty.

I'm getting bolder--ripping out more and more lawn for the garden. So what if the neighbors think I'm crazy!? :)