Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to save an old barn on my property. It's been flooded many times and was out of commission when I bought the property.

It's about 20' by 40'. The bottom foot of siding and post is totally ruined, everything above is looking very good. I'm planning on jacking it up and replacing the bottom of each post making a hefty lap joint. What I'm wondering about is if I should dig down to frost line (4 feet around here), pour a slab or just let the post sit on compacted gravel and a flat stone to distribute the pressure.

I would really appreciate some advice on this question.

Time is a big factor, and I would consider a higher cost if it would cut down the time of having to dig 12 4' holes by hand.

Some pictures.
https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/5df93ff6e0b749a0b6e464c83f4a8f31

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
What will prevent another flooding incident?

Reactions: Mickie3

·
Otiose Endomorph
3,613 Posts
Looks like the barn has seen a lot of moisture...wonder where the high water mark is?
How were posts mounted before (straight into dirt or on pads)?
What you could do, is just have a floating pad with knee walls...a lot of work, but would limit water intrusion and get walls/posts away from ground. Plus side, wouldn't have to sister anything if knee wall was high enough (posts and walls would have rot bottoms cut off).
I would have a couple layers of poly under slab to limit weeping (along with plenty of compact gravel).
I agree with your assessment to limit water intrusion with a ditch.

At the end of day, you have to decide if barn and location are worth it...maybe building a barn (recycling old barn) elsewhere where water isn't an issue. The barn looks tired in pics, but really hard to tell if the barn is viable in pics....
One thing I noticed, is headroom...I would inclined to have more headroom on main floor...so one can drive in heavy/tall equipment etc...

·
Registered
756 Posts
Man, my sinuses blew up just looking at the pics! I make my decisions based on spreadsheets. Before I undertook that project, I'd price the jacks (purchase and rental), the materials for posts, siding, support for the posts, fasteners, tools I may have to purchase, rental equipment for putting in the ditch, and anything else that I might think of. Then I'd do an estimate of how long it would take on each post and see how many days work I'm dealing with. And I would have to factor in other projects that might go undone and what impact that would have. Then I'd go out and get a couple quotes for a 20x40 or 30x40 pole barn building (installed) and decide which made more sense. Before I got started on the barn, if that is what I decided to do, I'd put in the ditch and see how effective that was in keeping the barn dry during a heavy rain. If it doesn't work as planned, I'd have a chance to refine it BEFORE putting all that money and hard work into and old, tired barn.

Just my thoughts on how I would approach it. Of course, if there is a sentimental attachment to the place, then my paragraph above pretty much doesn't apply, lol.

Good luck whatever you decide to do with the barn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts