saving money on feed

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Farmall, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

I feed shelled corn to all my stock, pigs when I have them. I went to my local Mill the other day and copied the prices of shelled corn. Its $7,50 per 100lbs in 2 sacks, $6.50 bulk per 100lb up to a ton, and $6.30 per ton and above. If you do the arithmetic youll see that if you go along and buy corn in sacks up till you finally have bought a ton, you could have bought a ton bul outright and they would have givin you the equal of 350lbs extra in feed. Thats a real savings to me. youll have to buid a granery to store it in safe from weather, and coons and possums, not to mention your own llivestock, but itall pay for itself over a year easy. If you have the roof, all it takes is 5 4X8 1in plywood panels, 8 concrete blocks and 4 railroad ties, some few 2X4s and nails. and 8 1 X 12 X 4ft boards

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I have considered buying feed bulk several times but the possibility of it getting moldy keeps me from it. The humidity here is very high, especialy during the two rainy seasons, one of which is during the long summer. Until I have enough pigs or whatever to eat a ton in one month I will have to continue paying the higher price. Do you supplement the corn? I purchase hog feed which is about $1.00 more than corn per 50 lbs. but I don't supplement unless I have scraps.

3. Farmall

Farmall Active Member

thats ALOT of scooping. I only feed shelled corn now to hogs, wiened pigs, chickens, to goats if I had them. When young, I used ta grind feed and make a slop for the hogs. They loved it, and put on the weight, but as I got older I realzed I didnt want the trouble of grinding, and besides I always wondered how many lbs I lost in the dust. Not to mention having to haul the water to them, and mix it up, fight with them while I tried to hit the trough, and came out wearing some of it sometimes. I just didnt need the hassle. Coulda feed oats or wheat to the chickens this summer, and it might have been better for them, but I kept with the corn, full feed, and never lost a one even in 2 weeks of above 100% temps, sand they 2 yr olds, so I guess im doin somthing right