Saving Money And Building The Farm!!~!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by myrandaandkids, May 16, 2006.

1. myrandaandkids

myrandaandkids Well-Known Member

Saving money and building the farm!!!!!today we built an entire goat pen out of skid pallets that our local home improvment store let us have just to get rid of them, they werent garbage to us, we took all the planks off the back except the top an bottom for support, and left all the planks on the front, we then drove thin fence post stakes in the gap between the top back and front planks to the bottom in the ground, and then nailed those stakes to the pallet ,and by doing this and nailing one to anothe we made tall sturdy fences and barley spent $10 for stakes, my goats love it, they have more room outside, and i love it cause i can watch them through the fence, it all looks uniform and hand made though each section came complete and individual , it was easy to put together, the goats cant fit theire heads through the fence, and cant trample down the fence. anyway, im all excited, and thought id share. :)

2. Sherrynboo

Sherrynboo Well-Known Member Supporter

Good move! I tried in the fall to get some pallets from Home Depot and they said they keep them all and will charge for them if you buy something by the pallet. So much for my idea of free firewood, haha!

Sherry in GA

3. Kstornado11

Kstornado11 Well-Known Member Supporter

We got a bunch of free pallets, planned on making some chicken tractors from them.We found the nails SOOOO hard to remove!! How on earth did you take them apart? My hubby actually broke a hand-held crowbar trying!! :shrug:

4. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard people often leave them nailed together and just cut off the portion they don't want (yes you have part still nailed, but works for most purposes)

5. Bluecreekrog

Bluecreekrog Well-Known Member

A crowbar works better than a wrecking bar. Heavier too.