saving lettuce seed?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by lorian, Sep 12, 2006.

1. lorian

lorian Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly........
    I let my lettuce go to seed, it's been out since april. I picked the heads off but now what? How do you get all those tiny seeds out of the little pods?
    Also I grew different varieties (all heirlooms) in the same row, will the lettuce grow true to what is was?
    Thanks!!!

2. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Lorian;I am assuming that the seedheads have the white dandelion like tops.If so cut the stem and shake inside of a paper bag.Different types can flower right next to other varieties without crossing because lettuce flowers have a very small window (of time in which to fertilize)and each variety has a different time window.If this weren't the case companies like Burpee would have several pages of New Hybrid Lettuse varieties.....But they Don't.-

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

For home use, a minimum of 12' between varieties is suggested. For pure seed, isolate varieties 25' to 50'. Whatever you get will still be edible lettuce but may not be true to the original.

Martin

4. lorian

lorian Well-Known Member

thanks so much for your reply. I just love this board!

5. DenverGirlie

DenverGirlie Well-Known Member

I let two plants go to seed this year. The two that were last to bolt in the wummer heat. Next summer I'm going to plant the orginal seed and the harvested seed in two differnt plots and determine if I can't develop a lettecue that is more tolerant to summer heat.

I'm so ready to try... I want to plant it now in the fall, but worried that this heat restiance seed might not do to well in the fall/ winter cold.