saving lettuce seed ?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cfarmher, Aug 17, 2006.

1. cfarmher

cfarmher Well-Known Member

:help: This is my first time saving lettuce seed. I have been watching my lettuce plants closely the last two weeks. They have finished blooming. Some of the seed pods are dried up and brown. Some have the open "dandelion" head, and the rest have the unopened "dandelion" head.
    I pulled up a plant and brought it inside to harvest the seeds, and now I'm worried I may have jumped the gun a bit.
    I have picked off all the dried heads and the fuzzy ones, but there are so many unopened ones left.
    I pried open one of the heads and the seeds look fully formed, and the right color. Is it worth it to save these or are they to immature to germinate?
    Thanks,
    Crissei

2. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Your doing just fine. I tie mine up to dry for a few dys then knock them inside a 5 gallon bucket to get the seed out. Home saved lettuce seed geminates like crazy.

3. newatthis

newatthis Well-Known Member

Last year we just "forgot" about our dried up lettuce and wha la this year we have 2 lettuce plants that we didn't plant this year and they are mixed in with the tomatos that we did plant.

Oh and we have tomatoes that we didn't plant mixed up with our beans and summer squash that we did plant.