Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've shaved the hair around her utter,cleaned them with a baby wipe,milked her,pored the milk trough a strainer,,,,,,,,,, now what?do i heat it up if so what temp and for how long.do i cool it down. should it be kept in plastic or glass containers, and how long can i keep it?thanks for any help :shrug:

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,815 Posts
Udder. Spelled with a double d. :) Sorry, former English teacher. Can't help it.

What we do is strain from the milk bucket into glass quart jars. Set the jars on the lowest shelf of the fridge. You want the milk chilled *quickly.* That keeps it tasting fresh.

Use the milk ASAP. If it starts to accumulate, begin making yogurt, cheese, etc.

We don't pasteurize, but we use the milk usually within three days.

Spend some time on this website http://fiascofarm.com/goats/index.htm

It's a great reference with much of the info you need to be a good goat owner.

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
We avoid using plastics with milk products - they just don't come clean enough and will always have a milk residue on them.

We milk into stainless steel, strain from that bucket into glass canning jars and then they set in the sink with ice water for 15-20 minutes. Then they go in the coldest part of the fridge. The door is NOT the coldest part of the fridge, just the most convenient.

We drink it raw, we do not pasteurize the milk.

·
Premium Member
4,632 Posts
By straining, I hope you mean filtering.
We do pasteurize. If you do, simply filter it into a pan, and set that pan into a wider pan with water in it. (Or use a double boiler.)
Heat to 165 degrees, stir, and remove from heat. (We use a probe thermometer, picked up at Walmart or the grocery store.)
Sit pan in a sink of ice water and stir.
After you've knocked about 80 degrees off it, you can pour it into a pitcher and sit in in the freezer for an hour or so.
mary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts