Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
A servant
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How bout saving corn seed?
I have a 1/2 acre patch of silverqueen corn. No other corn around my garden for 1 mile this year. How do I save seed for next year and waht about ants and bugs on some of the ears.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
isn't silver queen a hybrid? you'll need to buy seed to have silver queen again...methinks.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Silver Queen corn is a high sugar HYBRID variety.

Seed saving only works with open pollinated varieties. Hybrid plants produce seeds that will not produce true to their parents.

If you are truly interested in learning about seed saving - I would recommend you track down a copy of "seed to seed" by Suzanne Ashworth. Seedsaving is not all that hard - but there are some fundamentals and some plants need isolation etc. to produce proper seed.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Here's information on how to save corn seed. You will need it if you plant an open pollinated variety next year.

get some long nails and pound them into a board so they stick out the other side a couple of inches, then stick a cob of corn on the nail and let it air dry (you might want to protect it by building a small screen house for it to dry in). When it's totally dry, scrape the kernels off and save them in a paper bag for planting the following year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts