SAVE YOUR DOGS & CATS

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ozarkyehti, Nov 2, 2004.

1. ozarkyehti

ozarkyehti Well-Known Member

Just wanted to warn everybody not to use any over the counter flea & tick repelent on your dogs and cats.

We usally use Frontline on our animals,and recommend it.

But to save money, we went and got an over the counter brand.

We used Spot On for cats, made by Zodiac.

Within two hours of applying it to our cats (we have 6) five of them went into seizures.

We live 1 +hrs from the emergency animal clinic, so our cats seizures for over 2 + hours. I ended up spending almost $1000.00 dollars on vet. bills.

After talking to the emergency vet they say that they see this all the time with over the counter meds.

Zodiac is giving us the run around, so we will probably will have to get a lawyer to get our money back, and with the run around and hassle that Zodiac is giving us I may want more than just our bills payed.

Five of the cats are doing fine now, one looks like it will have permanent nero. problems.

Has anybody had similar problems with Zodiac, Hartz, ect.

Our vet says tha the see reactions all the time from these products.

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I've used Hartz to good effect on my dog, but never used it on my cats.

When I worked as a vet tech, we used to encourage the use of our products because they were actually stronger than the stuff you can buy at the local chain stores.

Neurologically, cats are much touchier than dogs (e.g. aspirin and tylenol can kill them, etc.) Any time I've treated my own cats for external parasites, I've always used the products recommended for kittens, just to be on the safe side.

Prayers that your furry friends recover well, and that you will receive adequate compensation to cover your vet bills.

3. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear about your animals. Glad to hear they are improving.
    Hopefully Zodiac will settle with you before you have to spend too my $ on attorney fees. I use Frontline on my dog and cat. I also use Zodiac shampoo and a spray for around the house. I never had trouble with Zodiac but will be more cautious in the future.

4. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I used the Hartz drops on my cat ONCE. She started drooling everywhere and her rear legs began to twitch uncontrolably. Fortunately, I saw what was hapening and immediately gave her a bath. Afterwards, took her to an emergency vet clinic. The vet gave her a clean bill of health, so I was lucky in that regard. There was a class action lawsuit against Hartz over the drops a few years ago, although I did not hear anything about it in the media. All I was able to get from Hartz was a refund for the drops.

5. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Wow what a nightmare!!! I sure hope the kittys recover OK and that u get some $$$$$ back.

Isn't this infuriating that big biz would market a product that obviously bad news for pets??? :(

6. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

We used those kind of drops that you place on the back of your cats' necks once and once alone....I believe ours came from out local vet....Three of our cats did just fine, but Baxter, our beautiful big black and white baby (he weighs more than 20 lbs now) was terribly terribly sick! I vowed then and there never ever to use that stuff on any of my animals again....

He lay in my husband's closet for THREE days and we were so afraid we were going to loose him. He eventually recovered but I will not use that poison on any of my cats ever again...and we have FIVE in the house now....

I vowed I would bathe them or hand pick the fleas off them before I'd ever put any more of that poison on them...it's a chemical no matter what kind you use and whether it's from the vet or not....

Herbal and natural remedies are better but you have to be more careful with them too.

Even though our cats stay indoors ALL the time and never go outdoors, sometimes they manage to get some fleas, I guess off the screened in porch on the back, or they come in on our clothes or something....either way, no more of that kind of flea medicine on our animals!

Our best wishes to your kitties and best of luck pursuing that company!

7. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

PLEASE...always check the ingredients on the package label of over the counter flea products, and NEVER use products for flea treatment designed *for dogs* on your cat, as they have a *much higher dose* of "permethrin", the active ingredient in many flea treatments and can be fatal if used on cats. The accepted/safe percentage of premethrin in better know products, tho a bit more expensive, are geared to the cat/kittens weight/age with safety in mind. In wanting to save a buck, you may lose your pet, so be very careful with your choice of cat flea treatments! Tho more expensive, I prefer Frontline Plus for cats..kills all stages of the flea cycle. Do a Google search on permethrin cats for more info. For now, go here for basic cat flea treatment info on the above http://www.cfa.org/health/flea-products.html

Dee

8. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

With so many cats we buy the Frontline spray and I give each cat about a squirt a piece for tehir entire body unless they appear to need more. We like for them to build up their own resistances but with fleas, we will step in and help out. The spray can go a long way and we don't have to dole out quite as much per cat.

9. Raindancer

Raindancer Well-Known Member

dosthouhavemilk ..Heard there was a Frontline spray. Does it seem to be effective?
    Curious, as my oldest 10 yr. old kitty seems to be getting just a little bit more sensitive to the "spot on" topical Frontline. Maybe it's good alternative? Haven't investigated yet. Care to share any info?

Dee

10. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

I have some difficulties with the Frontline concept of flea control.

I know many of you use it and swear by it. I also do not live in a rural setting (yet). Further, Colorado is not flea central like some of your areas. So I recognize my opinion is based on a different set of conditions. Who knows, I may be converted when I move out of the city.

My main objection is that it is sold like chiropracty. You have to buy into regular treatments forever. I just don't like the idea of putting any product on an animal or in your living space forever. (not to mention the high price)

I do feel that frontline or similar products could be useful until the flea problem is solved. But I see it being used on pets as a substitute for eliminating the fleas. You are saying that all life cycles of the flea die when the adult bites the pet. So you are counting on the live fleas to bite your pet in order for the product to work. :(

The biggest problem with this approach, in my opinion, (besides the continual use of an expensive product on your pet) is if there are other animals, like rabbits, skunks, rats, etc. that have fleas, then new fleas are always being added to your space. By not solving this problem, it perpetuates the need for Frontline.

11. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We use the Frontline spray on our barn cats and our house cat. We are plagued with fleas all summer and they are just now, finally starting to die off for the winter. Yay! There is no way to rid the farm of fleas, they are as much a part of this area as the deer and wild turkey.
    It has saved little kittens that would otherwise die from being drained by fleas (yes we have used it on young kittens). The vet's office showed me how to apply just a little bit with a paper towel and I only do so as a last resort because momma will ingest some. It also saves the older cats who would pretty much die if they didn't have some assistance.

Our cats are not flead on a regular schedual. I keep an eye on them (generally you have at least five on your lap when you sit down in the barn so it isn't dificult) and when I see the need for them to get another dose they do. I do not dose them according to the directions. I dose them according to the least amount needed to give them a boost. Though with my sister's cat and when my grandmother had cats in her house, they received the full dose and they were basically flea free. I think it works really well and you can monitor how much is doesed out and adjust for what you need.
    I have one cat, Junior Junior, out of 35 who appears to be reacting poorly to it, either that or he is allergic to fleas period.