Save the pickle juice for your goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by mpillow, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We just finished a jar of Vlasic Country baby dills...Sooooo Gooooood!!

Anyway I usually add a bit of cider vinegar to their water anyway and decided to give them the left off pickle juice (vinegar, dehydrated onion, garlic,calcium chloride and salt) It was a big hit....I have had to refill several times! About 1/2 c to 1 gal.

Cant blame them though...I've been known to drink out of the pickle jar myself! :eek:

2. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Speaking of vinegar (pickle juice), I've heard that putting vinegar in the bucks water about a month prior to breeding your does will increase your chances of having doelings born instead of bucks. Has anyone heard this?

3. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

I have heard the same, though I doubt it's true. If anyone has experience to the contrary, I'd love to hear about it!

Anyway, we didn't give our two girls any vinegar, and we ended up with five bucklings this year! I'm ready to try vinegar for next time...

4. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Here Here! I agree! I definitely feel the same!

5. Ellie5

Ellie5 Well-Known Member

Well, I just got back from shopping & of course had to get the baby dills. Had a craving all day since I read your post! I'll give the goats the juice-Hope they like it cause i'm going to try the vinegar for doelings thing.

That brings up another question, does the buck determine the sex of the kids? I'm assuming so if the vinegar thing has any truth to it.

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

ive heard so many times of this , but i just cant give it credit

if it works its got to be just anecdoatal , otherwise they would be acidifying the dairy goats rations from the factory ....

7. mpillow

This is what I understand about the nature of things and vinegar.....

From the bucks point of view....

Fast swimmers are boy sperm....long enduring swimmers are female....if the doe is hot and later into the 18hr fertile time....the fast swimmers are gonna get there first. If she is early then likely the boy sperm will die off and female sperm will be left. The part that is variable is finding a buck with more female sperm....

From the female point of view...

It is believed that vinegar will make the "fertile Valley" in a doe more acidic and boy sperm dont like acidity and die off....

I have used the vinegar and the first year I had 4 doelings and 1 buckling from an 8 month old buck. Last year I forgot mostly the vinegar and had 5 of each. Remembered last Fall a little late and well I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But they are drinking more and I hope it will continue and see if it increases milk production.

8. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Sounds typical...lol :D

Okay, so when do you start this vinegar treatment? AND...can you give it to the sheep? I had 5 ram lambs and only one ewe lamb. I'll try anything!

9. chas

chas Well-Known Member

I used to breed with two appaloosa studs.If I knew the heat cycles I would breed early hoping the male sperm would die before the mare really came in heat strong.My breeding reports showed about 60% girls 40% guys.I think it worked!
    Pasture breeding was about 50-50.
    I'm still trying to figure out these goats :rolleyes:

10. mpillow

I think it is worth a try on sheep.

A bonus of using a little year round is it helps against green slime in buckets during summer months....Near breeding time you might try increasing a month before. Like a cup per gallon??? Worth a shot....be sure to monitor consumption...if they dont like 1 cup to a gal. cut it back a little.