SAVE GAS-- Starting today,,,,

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Esteban29304, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

I just remembered an old trick we did to save gas during hard times, & the 70's oil embargo. I added this " trick" to both cars. It costs= NOTHING.
    Take a piece of red tape,[ you can paint any tape with red fingernail polish] & apply a small piece right over the best overall gas saving speed for your car, on the sapeedometer face. Most all cars get their best mpg at 55-60mpg. YES. YOU CAN DRIVE 55 !! When you look down at your speedometer & see that the needle is above that speed,,, just slow down. Get in the habit.Keep the speed at or just below the " red line". You will quickly adjust to it & will be normally driving that speed in no time at all!!
    My mileage on my small car, doing this the past week , was 44.6 mpg.[ it usually averages 38mpg] Sure, not every car can get that kind of mileage, but you WILL SAVE,& you will save a LOT & it doesn't hurt you.If everyone did this, we would save a tremendous amount of dependance on foreign oil! Try it & report your findings!

2. whinnyninny

whinnyninny Crazy about horses

Going 55 mph will cause accidents on freeways & highways where the speed limit is higher than that, or where most drivers go faster than that. Sometimes when I drive 65 mph on the highways where the speed limit is 65, people nearly cause accidents trying to swerve around me or pass me (especially on busy 2-lane highways- yikes!)

3. mommymushbrain

mommymushbrain Well-Known Member

I've been utilizing my cruise control a lot more than I use to. Keeps me at a constant speed without my lead foot going nutty.

4. nodak3

nodak3 Well-Known Member Supporter

We continued to drive 55 when the speed limits were raised. We have never had an accident or even a near miss doing so. In heavier traffic we do make sure to stay right, to drive with our lights on, and to maintain a safe distance with the car ahead. (Not usually a problem.) Tailgating kills at any speed.

5. If I remember right, I think saving gas back in the early 70's is why we all went to 55 mph. I can remember everyone gripping about having to drive so slow.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

In Norcal we could safely drive 55 and did,it was relaxing.Down here in Socal,55 is death.The lowest common denominator and a serious ME FIRST attitude means 75 minimum or you are at serious risk of being hit,rear ended or clipped front or rear by very poor drivers.

As pointed out here,it matters a LOT where you live.

Given my druthers,55 is pretty darn nice in my book.

BooBoo

7. Esteban29304

OF course, on an interstate 55-60 is harder to maintain, when everyone is passing you. But, AT LEAST, try it on other roads,, IF you want to conserve gas. It does work, ,,your pocketbook will have a little more money, & you will know that you are helping to conserve oil.

8. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Better yet, drive less. I go to the mall about twice a year. Went on Friday and the traffic there was as outrageous as normal. I don't see any evidence that people are driving less. They're still driving, just griping more. I confess I saw less SUVs than normal. I try to just drive as little as possible. The gas prices are a good excuse to stay home and get plenty of work done around the house.

9. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

i've slowed down and increased my mileage by 5-6 mpg, which translates into an increased 75 miles per tank of gas, which at 3$ a gallon, means roughly 7-9$ saved every time i burn thru 15 gallons of gas. i drive 12 miles one way, 24 miles round trip. i can go to work roughly 15 times on a tank of gas driving 65. driving 55, i can go to work about 20 times per tank. savings-about 50$ a month, if i figured correctly in my head as i was driving to and from work.

10. Sparkey

Sparkey Well-Known Member

11. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Big V8 cars (not SUVs) of today are lighter than in 60's-70's-80's. This new breed comes with very small V8s and overdrive tranny. 27mpg isnt anything to brag about when in mid 1950's full size Chevy with a 265 cubic inch small block with overdrive 3spd manual tranny could obtain 25mpg on long trips. Hot Rod mag even specially built a Chev 350 with carb (this engine not known for great fuel mileage) that not only got honest 25mpg but met modern emissions standards 'with a carburetor' and no computer. Fuel injection isnt necessary for high fuel mileage despite what the government and car companies tell you. My '89 Festiva has carb and distributor and gets 44mpg on hiway at 65mph. Could top 50 and maybe into mid 50s if I'd hunt up and install a 5spd tranny and replace carb with a proper jetted Weber that doesnt have the pollution extras built into it that decrease mileage. Maybe top 60mpg if I did all that and drove a constant 45mph. Heck I even had a big boat of a car, namely a '71 Buick LaSabre with Buick 350 and no overdrive that got 21mpg on long trips (alas only like 12mpg in town driving). Overpowered so sure a significant overdrive would of upped that to at least 25mpg.

12. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Where fuel injection has it all over carbs is that it adjusts itself.The rich/lean can compensate for worn parts,and compensate for elevation(man does THAT make a huge difference if your an up/down driver).That gets you optimal performance all the time,hot/cold/starting etc.
    More economical,I doubt it,just better 'tune' more often.

Have to say,I prefer injection to my carbs,hands down.And throttle body injection is simple simple,and very dependable.As for cost,I see it as pay now or pay later injection vrs carb.IMHO that depends on how you view value.We all see that differently.

As always in this debate,IMHO and YMMV :D

BooBoo

13. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree driving the speed limit can cause accidents...because people are idiots. I commute on a 2-lane state highway with a 55 mph speed limit. I generally drive 60 and EVERYONE passes me. I refuse to drive faster. On Friday I decided to drive 55 and it really got crazy. One stupid woman passed me on a yellow line. Nevertheless, I choose to save gas and will continue to drive 55. Hey, they pass me when I drive 60 so they can pass me at 55.

I'm concerned that gas availability might become a problem in the next couple of months. This month it is critical that I be at work each and every day so if slowing down will help save gas that's what I'm going to do.

14. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

It was not that long ago I saw a thing on the news where a retired man took and old Electric motor and put it in an older Honda with seven batteries, got 35 mph and had to charge at 200 miles. You could use a WIND MILL to CHARGE those batteries, along with an alternator out of your truck. Now doesn't that say something for our Country , and the OIL Cartell. IT can be done, but who is CONTROLLING things? Who has the OIL STOCK? City Cars can be Electric and how about that HYDROGEN, Greenland has it as we speak. It's all about that OIL STOCK, tell me it is NOT ? I have Donkeys and can use them on a Wagon or Cart.

15. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't think it's a good idea to just choose a speed. If you are not going in the range of the posted speed limit, you can be putting yourself and others at risk, especially on overcrowded freeways.
    mary

16. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

I usually drive about 50-55 even on the Maine Turnpike they have plenty of room to pass me. I try not to get lead footed but I do occassionally but everyone still passes me. We do mostly highway traveling which is better on gas mileage anyway. We have decided to make sure when we go shopping that we get everything in one trip but it means checking to make sure we get all we need for a couple of weeks. But, we just can't be making extra trips. Right now we have enough in the house so we will have no real need to be going out until another week. Of course we will make the trip to church. We have a car parked on the other side of our property that we got a year ago and I took it to fill the gas tank and on the way home the transmission started acting up I made it to the top of a hill and with that help was able to coast into out yard. It site with a full tank of gas that we are going to siphon out pretty soon. I just hope it is ok.

RenieB

17. Esteban29304

Renie,
    Just be very careful when you siphon the gas. Also, since a siphon hose can pick up the trash in the bottom of the tank, I would strain the gas thru a cloth before pouring it into another car.

GREAT tips, everyone!

18. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

After a year, with no gas stabilizer, the gas may have gone sour. Also, about 10 years ago, manufacturers started putting baffles in the filler neck to keep people from siphoning gas. I tried to siphon the gas out of my '00 Hyundai and had to pull the fuel pump instead.

19. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Save gas--get a locking gas cap!! People at work have had gas siphoned off while working the nite shift....my DH bought me a cap,what a sweetie! DEE

20. 1/4acre

1/4acre Well-Known Member

for those of us with pickups, drop the tail gate if the bed is empty or get one of those plastic mesh gards. this cuts down on wind resistance and can up the gas milage by 3or4 miles per gallon. :cowboy: