sav-a-kid milk replacment problems

Discussion in 'Goats' started by talon30, Apr 7, 2006.

1. talon30

talon30 New Member

I had two kids that lost thier mother at 2 days old.. I went and got some sav-a-kid and brought them inside. they were doing fine for 4 weeks. i was mixing as directed. i was letting them stay outside (4 weeks old) and I increased the mix as directed to 4 cups of power and 3 cups of water... I fed them that day and that night gave the 10 oz.. the next morning the girl was swallen and died. the boy was fine and i went back to 2 cups of power and 3 cups of water... He now stays sick 90% of the time... When he feds if he takes 10 oz he will just stand there and cough... he did swell up and i gave him gas x and cut the mix back to 1 power and 3 cups of water..... he has diarea almost all of the time and looks like the is loosing weight..... he is 6 weeks old.... he does play with the other kids, but i do see a change in him.... what sould i do???

2. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

First off I would switch him to whole cow milk from the grocery store. I am not familiar with that brand of replacer, but I would not use anything that is supposed to be mixed different at different stages. Right now it sounds like it is awful watered down. He will not get the nutrients he needs if it is not mixed properly. I would also treat for coccidia.

3. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We gave our kids the milk replacer and it gave them the scours. Every time. We now feed whole cow's milk from the grocery store and they do fine on it. You can add some porbiotics to it.

4. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

ITA. Switch to whole milk. Goat milk if you can get it. Cows milk if it's all you can get. And definitely treat for coccidia. Sulmet would be a good start. Have you wormed him?

5. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm so sorry you lost your doeling. We lost goats to bloat and scours the first year we had goats, all due to feeding milk replacer. I have never used it since then. If I run short on goat milk for the bottle babies, I mix the goat milk I have with whole cow's milk and would feed all cow's milk if I had no goat's milk. Give that baby some real milk.

6. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

You could use cows milk and add Probios to it. I think the dose is 2G but may be 5G, it will way on the label what to feed goats. Good Luck with you baby.

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have found kids are extremely sensitive to changes in diet and it could be simply the switch in the amount you were feeding. You would think though, if they had been on this same formula for a month, the replacer itself might not be the problem but changing the dosage. Also is it possible something else is going on? Are stools okay? Cocci not a problem? Temp okay? Have they been vaccinated for CD&T? At any rate, the only time I've had problems bottle feeding kids is when I used a replacer. Whole cow's milk has never caused me any problem. Of course, the best plan is goat milk.

8. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I have never had a problem using replacers. I do think this was probably from the change in the mixture. I would have kept mixing it the same as I started with. Goats don't do good with change.

9. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

The little guys were out eating things they don't have the proper bacteria to digest. Young kids will follow their moms around and actually eat a little poop. That's what gets the proper bacteria in their rumin. Try giving your boy a little colustrum if you've saved any or have a doe that's just kidded. This has worked for me a few times. Be sure he gets NO grain, just hay, no green grass/fresh buds etc. Also the fact that he hasn't had a mom to show him the proper things TO eat could be a problem. I've found that hay(preferably not alfallfa will very often help right bad stomachs. Make sure he has plenty of clean water and clean surroundings.
    this is a good site for goat info
    http://www.goatwisdom.com/index.html#topics

10. fricknfarm

fricknfarm Well-Known Member

I wonder, just how many have had success with replacer and how many have lost kids to it. It has never worked well for me, I don't use it anymore either. If i need to bottle feed its, 1. 100% goats milk, 2. 50%-50% goat cow, and in a pinch lower goat cow ratios. I've never fed 100% cow milk, so I personally can't say how well it works, but I know I'd rather feed that than milk replacer, at least it smells good. Seems to me if a company is selling a product to FEED kids it shouldn't KILL them. Right???

11. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Then of course, comes the question are all replacers equal? Do some work better than others?

12. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Here, post # 27 has a GREAT formula that worked wonderfully for me and my mom when we had to bottle feed an orphaned kid, who is now doing GREAT. http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=108594 Good luck with your little guy, and sorry about your doe and doeling. Good luck once again. BYe.