Sausage stuffer question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tinknal, Nov 1, 2006.

1. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

For those who have used both, which do you like better, the old canister types with a threaded bolt and a turnscrew, or the kind that uses a lever opperated plunger?

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

I think the quantity will really make the difference, to the choice,

I made my stuffer and it uses a hydraulic jack, under the piston, an 8" stainless steel tube about 24 inches long, and has a 33 pound capacity, and my Friends that I have loaned the hand stuffer to will drive 12 miles to use the other stuffer almost with out fail, but part of the deal is the quantity they want to stuff, they are usually doing 50 pounds or so,

I use it to stuff hamburger into the Polly tube bags to freeze, we may stuff up to 400 pounds at a time,

I would guess you would like the canister type best,

3. Julia

Julia Well-Known Member

I like the turnscrew type best myself. I've used both, and found the plunger type very awkward to use, and it didn't make the nicest sausages. But the little cast iron lard press/sausage press I borrowed one year was effortless---20 pounds of Italian sausage stuffed in just minutes, and they were all beautifully done...

4. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

Ive never used a stuffer. I put a stuffer tube on our grinder, and stuffed while grinding. Im to cheap to buy a seperate machine

5. Jolly

Jolly Well-Known Member

If you've got any volume to speak of - turnscrew.

If it's just an occasional 20 pounds, a lever type will work ok.