sauerkraut

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by terry stewart, Jun 19, 2006.

1. terry stewart

terry stewart Well-Known Member

has anyone ever made sauerkraut with red cabbage before

2. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Yes - you make it just like you do green cabbage/kraut.

Marlene

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

You can make it with lettuce, too.

4. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

Yes, the Germans have been doing it for centuries....sorry, I couldn't resist.

Just incase you would also like a recipe:

Red Cabbage, or Blue kraut (Rothohl, oder Blaukraut)

When cooked properly, red cabbage is known as Blaukraut -- blue kraut- because of the deep purple color it takes on. This is due to the hot venegar and fat in which the cabbage is braised before water or stock is added. If you skip that initial step, the cabbage will "bleed" as it cooks and you will have the faded pink, oversoft concoction that gives red cabbage a bad name. It tastes best when made a day in advance.

4 - 6 servings

1 2-3 pound head red cabbage
    2 -3 T butter, lard or minced bacon
    1 T sugar
    1 larg apple peeled, cored and chopped
    1 onion minced
    4 T white or whine vinegar
    salt to taste
    1-2 cups water or stock as needed

Remove any ragged or spotted leaves from cabbage. Cut in quarters, wash and drain. Shred cabbage on cutting board, discarding core and tough ribs. Heat fat in an enameled Dutch oven or casserole. If you use bacon, let it melt but not brown. Add sugar to hot fat and saute` slowly until golden brown. Add apple and onion, cover and braise over very low heat 3-4 minutes. Add shredded cabbage and toss until coated with fat. Pour vinegar over kraut and stir to mix through. cover pot and braise slowly about 10 minutes, or until cabbage has turned "blue" -- or , more exactly, bright purple. sprinkle with salt, add 1 cup of water, cover and slimmer slowly 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until cabbage is tender. Add more liquid if needed as cabbage cooks.

Hope this helps,
    Marlene

5. Tabitha

Tabitha greenheart

I am sorry Marlene, hate to be a stickler,but Blaukraut is not Sauerkraut. Sauerkraut has to be fermented. (not that Blaukraut isn't really good, if you raise purple cabbage it is worth the try). I have never made Sauerkraut out of purple cabbage, I always can it though in form of Blaukraut, I like to add half an onion spiked with a few cloves though, which I discard later). Don't know why we never fermented purple cabbage, I think I will give it a try if my planting does really well. you can ferment all kinds of vegetables, beets, carrots, turnips, I like to make something like kim chee because I like spicy foods, so lay on the cayenne, garlic and the ginger. The prodedure is pretty much the same for all fermented foods. so good for you, too.