Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set up a crock with cabbage a few weeks ago. Having made kraut before, this is the first time I've experienced this. The crock has a sweet smell (not unpleasant, just sweet) and there is a slime on top of the plate I use as a weight. After scooping the slime out and removing the plate, I sampled the kraut and it's fine.

Any idea if it's safe to eat or should it be discarded?

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Sounds fine to me. Sometimes it will slime up. Sometimes it will get foamy. Sometimes it stays beautifully free of any weirdness. Are you planning to process it? When I have one that seems funny I will either eat it up quick, or water-bath process it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
You'll know if the kraut spoils. It smells and tastes funny. I had slimy sauerkraut twice that was spoiled.

I later learned that if the cabbage is too immature, the kraut will spoil. An old Serbian, with lots of sarma making experience told me not to use cabbage for sauerkraut unless there has been a frost. Now, my kraut always turns out good.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
There is the mother which is the slime on top and there is where the cabbage it self mushes out on you.
The mother is Ok. The mushy cabbage ususally happens when the fermentation is done in too high of temps or a dirty crock.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The slime I had is different than the usual scum. This stuff was really, really slimy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.