Sauce for the Dog

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by FolioMark, Feb 17, 2005.

1. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Well Ive seen it all now. Just saw a commercial from the IAMS dog food company. They now make 3 flavors of bottled sauce to pour over your dogs food. I wasn't paying attention so I dont know what the three flavors are, but according to the commercial, all your dog's friends will be asking to stay to supper and eating you out of house and home. Im rushing right out to the store now. Cant imagine how Ive managed all these years without this product. Just the thing to add spice to the diet of all those poor pensioners who are eating dog food instead of hamburger. America.....what a country. :rolleyes: :haha:

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

ya saw that kibble ketchup advertised! we board dogs and some come with their own feeding regime , its not as weird as some of the things people have fed their dogs ! know of one couple was feeding HOG chow to their dog claiming it was better than the dog food available! we used to boil up a soup that we topped off the dog food with and they ate every thing in sight!dog food has come a long way from the 50's and 60's and advertizing even further!

3. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL...and I thought they'd gone over the top with bottled water and popsicles for dogs.

I think I'll just keep making the dogs my own brand of sauce (gravy) out of leftover meat drippings, etc. and pass on the store bought stuff. :no:

4. So if I had of been smart enough I could have suggested this years ago, huh! I've always bought cans of dog food and would make a gravy sauce from it and pour over dry dog food. I use about a third of a can to make sauce for each meal. My dogs love it that way.

5. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

One of the best sauces available is plain olde milk. My dog goes wild about it. Her normal dry chow is set up to use one half can of store brand of some type meat dog food as a normal watered down sauce. Another big treat is skip the dry dog chow and break up two slices of bread every other week or so. That and milk over the canned sauce.

One big thing to watch for is the dog's weight getting out of hand if feeding any type of human chow. If I give human chow snacks, I deduct a small amount from that day's dog chow feeding. Her weight has been perfect for ~15 years using that system.

She can get snacks and people chow and something to break up the routine but must count calories always. :)

6. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

My 2 dogs get a treat every morning. The big one gets a hotdog while the small guy gets a thin slab of liverwurst. On top of that, occasionally we include added cow fat to thier canned and dry food.
    (not to mention an occasional butcher bone just to knaw on.)

You can bet I'll be one consumer who will be buying the sauce for thier dog food now.Thanks for posting this.

7. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Yes dogs love milk but it gives my poor old Wheeza the worst kind of gas. The kind she saves up for visits from the preacher.

RAVENLOST: Our Kmarts frozen food aisle listed frozen pet treats on the big sign hanging in the aisle. Took me forever to find them tucked away amonst the ice cream bar. Even the manager in charge had never noticed them or the sign listing.
    At the price they charge I could be Ben and Jerrys. :p

8. cchapman84

cchapman84 Well-Known Member

One thing I wanted to mention about feeding dogs table scraps: too much fat is poison to dogs. Something to do with their pancreas and not being able to process it. Now, I'm not saying not to feed dogs any fatty foods (I know my dog gets plenty of leftovers, especially the carrots and gravy from beef stew--I hate cooked carrots!), but just don't feed them too much too often.

9. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

"ruff ruff ruff,rrrrrrr, ruff, ruff."

Translation:

"Pardon me sir, do you have any Grey Poupon?"

10. Corgitails

Corgitails Well-Known Member

Actually, a similar (superior, IMO) product's been around for years, in the form of a flavored liqued supplement called VitaGravy......

11. bare

bare Head Muderator

I first saw this post this morning and though once again, "ya know, that FolioMark and I sure do have a lot in common!". Unfortunately, I didn't have time to open up the post and give my recipe for dog sauce.

Now that I see what you folks are talking about, I believe I'd better keep it to myself.

12. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

ROTFLOL!!!

Thanks. I needed that!! :haha:

Pony!

13. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I save chicken bones from our table, plus chicken skin when I de-skin breasts, plus odds and ends of veggies in a freezer bag. When I feel that I have enough, all that stuff goes into the crockpot with some garlic. I cover it with water and let the gunk cook all night and sometimes longer. I strain it and feed the solids :eek: to the outside cats. The broth is put into the refrigerator so the fat rises and hardens. That gets thrown away and Goldie, the useless doggie, gets a cup of the broth, warmed, over his dry dog food.

Yes, we spoil our pets! I even made pillow like beds with bed coversfor Goldie and for the two inside cats! I know....I know...but, you know, they're with us for such a short time :waa: .

14. jefferson

jefferson fuzzball in the Cascades

At my place, the only thing not eaten is the paper on the cans. I have an animal to eat anything. Dogs, cats, chickens, pea fowl, horses, pigs, and lots of deer. Nothing goes to waste and the only thing that goes to the dump is cans and bottles (after sorting for the recycle). Paying for a sauce to pour on the kibble............Ha!!!!!!!

15. kigerama

kigerama New Member

16. yankeeterrier

yankeeterrier Well-Known Member

It does seem silly to buy gravy for dogs, but in some situations an appetite stimulant can be helpful for a poor eater and certainly less costly than a veterinary product. And yes too much fat can cause pancreatitis, however it is a rather large amount in relation to the dogs weight. You tend to see it around hunting season if a dog gets into the deer suet or when folks butcher at home (of course there are some dogs that are more sensitive). I don't generally have eating issues with my pooches, but with an older or unhealthy dog a sauce could be helpful. As for the dog bottled water, I've had many different samples to try and I've never found a dog that liked it and you can make doggies 'ice cream' treats by freezing broth in ice cube trays. Dogs shouldn't have any cows milk products other than cottage cheese or yogurt. Unfermented products can cause gas and diarrhea and bloat in some breeds. Goats milk is awesome.