Satellite internet?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Cygnet, Oct 24, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

Anyone have any suggestions for satellite internet?

My dialup just isn't doing the job anymore. There is NO other option in this area but dialup. (I used to do web design, so I'm pretty familiar with the various options. My only other option is satellite. I've just been out of the loop a few years and I'm not familiar with who has the best rates and service anymore.)

Looking for the cheapest 2-way (up and down) satellite provider -- both subscription rates and HARDWARE costs.

Help!

Leva

2. ebarj1098

ebarj1098 Active Member

We have a satellite internet business in my area. I called them to check it out. $39.95 per month with I think $249 hookup and materials cost. Not sure if that's the 2-way you're talking about, I didn't get any more information after the cost!

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

wow if you can find it that cheap GET IT now! i am with direcway (only avail one in my area) and it is two way for 59.00 per month and it was (3 years ago) about 650.00 for equipment and hook up. i both love it and hate it. hate it when it is slow or down because of weather in florida (some kind of link there for the company, routers or some such) but love it when it is up. up load is slowwwww but down load is very fast. good luch on your search!

4. wildwestwoman

wildwestwoman Well-Known Member

I bought my dish 1 1/2 years ago and it was over $600. I pay around $65 for service. It's pretty good unless we get heavy rain or snow...never as fast as I like but a lot faster than dial-up. My neighbor has a connection through her cell phone company. I'm not sure how much that one was.

Best wishes.

Suzi

5. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

I had the direcway service, when I was in an area that couldn't get anything else.

Sisterpine is right about speeds, the best thing about satellite is that it's and always on connection.

I still have my equipt that I paid 650 for. I have it for sale here in Ohio.

6. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Buy The equipment used for two-way and save a bundle. It still has to be set-up by a licenced installer but you save on equipment. Cost per month was 59.99

7. SolarGary

SolarGary Well-Known Member

Hi,
    We had Starband for several years, and it works pretty well -- definitely better than dialup. It had these characteristics:

1) It is slow for web browsing. This (I'm told) is due to the multiple 40,000 mile roundtrips between you and the satellite and the server. Ours was only a bit better than a dialup for browsing.

2) It met the advertised speed for downloading files, and is much faster than dialup for large downloads.

3) The upload speed is slow. The speed they advertise for uploads is fairly slow, but mine never came close to meeting even that speed. Still somewhat better than dialup. This is not really a problem unless you send large files out to others.

We switched over to the two way radio internet when it became available here, and like it much better.

Starband had been in Chapter 11 for a while at the time we changed -- not sure what their status is now.

Gary

8. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

Got a response from Dish TV that Internet Service will be available from them at some future date. No time table or rates were discussed. I'm hoping that the service will be reasonably priced. The Rural Co-OP Telephone Company that services my property is very expensive for DSL - 50 a month minimum for DSL plus the cost of the telephone service. I've been using my cell for all telephone communication but would like to have Internet Access. I'm using the local library to check e-mail but it is a 20 minute drive into town.

9. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

When I checkd on sat internet last year it couldnt be had for less than 800 to get started and then 59.99 a month up...
    Then our elec co-op got on the wagon, offered free connection, all I had to pay was the equipment, which was to the tune of 350$. But, I figured I was saving some money... I got the 100mbps upload speed, it is 69.95 a month, and I have really enjoyed it so far. The company is Wildblue, and I dont know if they are offering it only here through the co-op or what.
    It isnt cheap, but better than a drive to town or dial up.
    If you can get it at a reasonable price, go for it...