satelite service question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by gobug, Dec 5, 2004.

1. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

The property I bought has a satelite dish that is about 5' in diameter. It appears to be in good shape. I noticed in the fire debris there was also a directTV dish, and I notice many homes in the area also have the directTV dish.

I remember years ago when my uncle in the mountains had a satelite dish that almost all the programs were free. He was complaining that some satelites were going to be encrypted and he would have to pay a fee.

Is this why many people now have the directTV dish???

2. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

I have Direct TV and the cost per month is less than cable but you have to pay. On the farm we have an old tower and get 3 stations now it is free for now anyway.

3. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................A friend was given a small dish with one of those pirate chips that allowed him to receive "free" signals from one of the major dish networks . It , worked great , Until they sent the "Signal from Hell" that discombooberated his pirate chip!! So , now he pays for the service and his receiver doesn't get zapped every so often . I , know that you have to have a phone line hooked into the receiver\decoder for the system to work . Don't know how that would work if you Didn't have phone service , fordy

4. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Direct is Awsum! Dish Network is so,so.Reception was never as good as with direct,even though they readjusted it to max signal strength several times.
    Neat trick (unless they changed it with the new cards) we learned by accident is if you unhook the phone line you will not get billed for rented movies.Well not until your card gets to the 300 dollar limit then you will not be able to rent any more movies.Good news is when you call up the company and to find out why you cant rent any more movies,they will work with you. :D Anyway we keep the line unhooked until we wanted to clear the card,and pay all at one time,rather than monthly.

A friend of mine used to pay to have his Direct card reprogrammed,every time they zapped it.Now he is playing with a Dish Network system. Id get caught for sure if i where him. :rolleyes:

5. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

You don't need phone service for the satellite to work. The company's just want to make sure you can call in for the "Pay for View" channels in addition to your regular bill. I have satellite via Direct TV and pay about $90.00 a month. I got a premium package and all of the movie channels offered and that's what I prefer to watch. Since I am paying to watch TV I refuse to watch commercials except on rare occassions when I really want to see something on a commercial channel. (We like to watch "Survivor".) When I had mine installed I had 3 receivers put in and I have since found that I can take one to the house in the mountains. Truck drivers take them along over the road. So I bought another dish on E-bay to use up there. I can have satellite TV there at no extra charge. Yipee, seems like I am paying plenty anyway.
    The large dishes were a sizeable investment and the satellite service was not free last I heard. Some friends had one and they had to pay a subscription fee based on how many of the satellites they wanted to have access to. Their dish had an electric rotor and they needed to point it in the right direction for each of the different satellites. I don't know if that is still available or not. Dish Network and Direct TV kind of took over the market.

6. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

desdawg says:
    This is exactly what I'm talking about.

The controllers cost about a $100 on ebay. I wonder how I could find out what it costs to connect to the different satelites. I really don't watch that much tv and never watch premium channels. I usually have my face stuck on the computer. Still, it would be nice to watch an occasional sporting event or news program.

This is cool, I have directv at home and I have 2 controllers. I should have gotten three, it was a package deal. Oh, well.

thanks dawg