Satelite Internet

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by amarillo, Nov 17, 2006.

1. amarillo

amarillo Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have any experience with satelite internet providers. If so, who do you have and are you happy with your service?

2. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

have starband here. Never had anything else so can't compare but can tell you it's pretty good service. Only have lost signal in very heavy rains.

3. freeinalaska

freeinalaska Well-Known Member

I've used Starband and found it pretty adequate. Uplink speeds are quite a bit slower that down. The latency (delay) doesn't work so well for online gaming I've been told. It will cost a grand or so to get set up and then the monthly recurring charges are similar to DSL here. It's a great solution if that's the only way to get high speed internet.

4. WendyW.

WendyW. Well-Known Member

I have hughesnet (formally direcway) and I've been happy with it. You can pay for your equipment over 15 months if you qualify and don't have the money upfront. After the 15 months it is $60 a month. We don't have a landline phone and cable doesn't run here so we had limited choices. The dish has been through a hurricane and is still working. LOL

5. LagoVistaFarm

LagoVistaFarm Well-Known Member

I've heard good reports about Wild Blue www.wildblue.com I believe they are putting up a new bird in January. Their rates ar $50-80 month depending on download speed.

6. ann

ann Well-Known Member

We had starband. Lot better than dialup. We did get a deal on startup. Got dishnetwork and starband for a 99$ fee. That was a 2 year contract. They do have pretty good tech support. Just remember one VERY important thing, the number is 1800 4 STARBAND. Remeber the 4. The number dialed without the 4 is a sex line as my then 14 yo found out. He freaked and I did to.

7. joaniebalonie

joaniebalonie Well-Known Member

we have wildblue. no phone lines here. we live in a canyon and haven't had any problems (wish i could say that about my cell phone connections). it's $50 month, very reasonable i think, and if ya need to talk to them they're there live! a neighbor on the ridge behind us switched to wildblue too. just gotta have clear southern sight...

8. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

I have Wild Blue, and am very happy with it. Not quite as fast as the wireless I used to have, but pretty darn close.

Tracy

9. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We've just switched to Wildblue from Starband. We'd run Starband for 3 years and hadn't had any issues with it, until the electronics in the dish went funky on us. After 3 unreturned phone calls requesting service over a 2 week period, Husband gave up on them and called Wildblue. So far, the dish works great.

10. ceresone

ceresone Well-Known Member Supporter

we had hughes--still sitting on the roof--tech support was rotten, kept getting someone who couldnt hardly speak my language--fouled my computer every time they did a automatic update--and raised prices too often.