Sassy is getting closer

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by JeffNY, Apr 11, 2006.

1. JeffNY

JeffNY Seeking Type

Talk about a big heifer, that heifer is getting BIG. She is due anywhere from the 16th on to the 24th, I would guess the 16th. She has a little edema, but it isn't nearly as bad as the Jersey's was. I was wondering, should I pre-milk her to help with that edema? Or wait like we did with the Jersey? I would freeze the colosturum, personally I would like to wait, but if it would help her, then why not? What I am going to be interested in, is how she turns out after. She stands about 62" tall, she did grow since the last post I did with her, she weighs 1450+lbs. Big tall deep bodied heifer. Her udder looks decent even if it has some edema, good placing with her teats, flat bottomed udder (fairly level), nice big udder too. This is the first holstein to calve on the farm that was ours since 1981 or so, so this is kinda cool. Now what would be the kicker, if she can only hold off till the 18th. See she turns 2 on the 18th, I turn 27 on the 18th, that would be very nice, only if it is a heifer :p. Was thinking tri-fecta, or tripple threat for a name ;). Or if it is a heifer, I could name it Athena. We had a cow, Jersey cow that was named Athena, she died on my birthday several years ago. We'll see if it pans out, but I doubt she will make it to the 18th, 16th bound I feel.

Jeff

2. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Jeff, with her first calf, Corabelle's udder was so big that I thought it was going to pop. Believe it or not, it seemed to get bigger before the second one. Everything I read said not to milk them out as one also risks the chance of an infection. I know it is tempting to when you see the size of it. With Corabelle's first, there were broken blood capillaries about 2 days post freshening. From what I was told, that was a common enough occurance for first timers anyway. Bottom line, I bet she's okay and here's hoping for the 18th!!!

3. Up North

Up North KS dairy farmers

jeff - Sounds like a nice heifer. Have tried it both ways, milking b4 and after calving. just IMO, would apply Udder mint product NOW and daily, keep her knee-deep in bedding, and milk after calving. Best luck. or, if you have a canvas udder bag, would maybe use that to keep her from scratching a teat, etc?

4. milkinpigs

milkinpigs Dairy/Hog Farmer

Jeff, I agree with Up North. If she's that close just wait. Use Uddermint or Cai Pan....same stuff just different name. It works and that will help get her used to you when she starts milking.