Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has grown sassafras from seeds? If so, where did you find seeds that you had good luck with?

I've got a couple trees on the property, but they are small, and I've not seen any fruit on them to get seeds from..

I'm wanting to get a couple more started. I love them... I often chew the stems on the leaves, and I also make File' from them.. .

Tell me what you know about germinating and planting them please.. Never done it...

·
Premium Member
6,079 Posts
Have lots in fence rows where it propagates easily and naturally. I don't know about the seeds. A friend dug some starts and had some success, but they don't like to be transplanted.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I was sent sassafras seeds when I ordered a bunch of other seeds as a sample. I have no idea what they are. I didn't plant them because I had no knowledge of them at all.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I've always thought the fruits are cool looking. I don't know how often the trees fruit, but you don't seem to see them much , well, I don't.
I imagine the seeds need to be scarified and stratified.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Your state forestry nursery may have them or be able to point you to a local source.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Vicker.. some interesting info.. I never thought about hitting the forestry office up.. real good idea..

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I don't ever recall seeing one that offered sassafras, I could be wrong, but they might could point you to a source.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Save yourself lots of trouble. Find a fence row that has some mature trees or mark some in the woods. Now comes the tough part, wait till they leaf out on the spring. Save however many buckets you want a tree to grow. Then when the leaf out, dig a clump of dirt around them so as to leave most the root in tact. Then replant where you desire. Also dig some roots now for sassafras tea. Very nice green tea. Will open you up when you are congested.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem is there aren't very many in this area, or on my land so transplanting isn't much of an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts