Saskatoon (juneberry)

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by jackie c, Mar 11, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have an abudance of wild saskatoons(juneberry) trees on my property. Some are very tall and cannot get to the berries without the use of a ladder. Can I prune the younger ones so they don't get that tall and are easy to pick. If so when is the best time to prune?

2. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Im no nursery man , but I have no trouble pruning anything during its dorment stage. I would recommend not too early spring, Jan, Feb.Do not cut too much back , but get them where you want them.If they ever produce fruit again well, it may take a few years. If the first year seems to be slow, the following spring fertilize around the trees, just a little. This will help promote new growth, you need lots of folilage for a good berry crop. We call them service berries in North Carolina, and I really like them. I have a Christmas tree farm , and would gladly ship a nice wreath to you(IN SEASON) in exchange for a few seedlings or two. Marty.

3. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is possible for you, but I just shake the branches I can reach, and the ripe ones come tumbling down. Then you just pick them up off the ground. It helps if you lay down a sheet first.

Shae