Sandy still isn't well.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by celadon, Oct 3, 2006.

1. celadon

celadon Well-Known Member

Sandy was the nubian goat I bought at a auction. She was sick when i brought her home. I had vet out now 4 times. Vet really has no idea. Just maybe tha she may have scar tissure on her lungs. Went out today to pay with them and she is breathing very fast and heavy. It was warm out today but Mandy was't breathing like that. Sandy was checked for worms twice. She has had all of her shots. Just can't find out what is wrong with her. I am so afraid I am going to go out and find her dead. I have gotten wayt o attached to these girls. What causes heavy fast breathing in goats? She is eating very good and drinks alot. :shrug: Thanks, Andrea

2. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Being out of shape makes me breathe fast and heavy!! LOL Maybe she could have been in a small pen where she came from and didnt get any exercise?? I've seen goats pant. Does she have plenty of fresh, clean water all day long? Other than that, I wouldn't have a clue. I hope it isn't anything bad.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

How hot is it where you live? Ive noticed some of my goats panting and others not when it is warm out. I would also have her tested for CAE which can affect the lungs. If she doesn't have either worms or CAE, it could either be allergies or scarring to the lungs from a past bout with pneumonia.

4. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts Well-Known Member

Don't want to sound werid - but look at her nasal passageways. I had a doeling last spring that was always breathing fast and was sick or anything. one day I happened to notice, her nasal passages are smaller than the other doelings her age and she has to breath faster to get the same amount of air. Just something to think about.

5. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

I think pain can cause fast breathing.

Have you checked her temp?

6. celadon

Yes, I the vet has checked her temp. And I have had her for 3 months. She is in a large inclosure with lots of running room. In fact my neighbors said they think they are princesses. they have toys to play with and lots of pasture. It is probably from the time she had pneumonia. I was close to losing her. Darn, I got up in the middle of the night to check on her. She will probably always have this and will not have a long life.? Thanks for the responses. I will have her check for cae. I know everyone keeps talking about cae but I forgot was it was. I will find it on the board again.

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

With good nutrition and future health care I would expect her to live close to her potential even if she isn't 100%.

8. celadon

I just read the site on cae. She doesnt have any swelling of the joints. Runs and plays on all of her toys. Gets into head butt fights with her sister. Other then the breathing she seems perfectly normal and healthy.

ALso shen I said hot here. We had a very early fall and it has been cold. SO hot is about 70 degrees. Thanks all.

9. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Could the pnemonia have had residual affect on her lungs? If so wonder if there are any herbal/natural supplements to help her breathing?

10. Sweet Goats

Sweet Goats Cashmere goats

Like prairecomforts said, check the nose. I have had to "pick" the dried snot out of my gooats noses. They breath like they are all stuffy and congested. Have you really listened to her? Is she wheezing or ratteling when she breaths? If not, I wouldn't worry, just keep loving her.

11. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

There was a goat at county fair with exact same symptoms; owner said she'd always been like that; she went through "phases" of the heavy breathing. She seemed fine otherwise.

12. celadon

Yes, she does have a rattleing in her lungs. The vet check it out. Said it was probably scar tissues form the pneu. But no temp at all. And very active.

13. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I also have a doe with lung damage from pneumonia- don't know if she had it before I got her or if it was the result of fever/cough she had when I brought her home. The heat really gets to her and she always has a rattley, phlegmy sound and a smokers cough. It doesn't interfere with her ability to make milk though.