Sandstone question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by East Texas Pine Rooter, Apr 17, 2005.

1. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

I have a brick at the farm that look in color like a firebrick, but it is real pourus, cumbles fairly easy, and when run over by the tractor, nearly go back to sand. Does this sound like sandstone? I have firebrick, and it is hard as a rock, it will break, but doesn't crumble. I thought the crumblyt stuff was just a inferior firebrick.

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like sandstone to me.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The ultra high tempature fire bricks also look like sand and can be crushed by hand, they are very exspensive in price. If you have a large quanity check with metalcraft foundry person about them - new they are about $7.00 apiece.

4. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

Opps, i thought they were an inferior brick, i have been tossing them in my rock pile. Sone folks scraps,and junk, or other folks trasures. I have built many fireplaces, as a building contractor. Architecs allways called for fire brick, never had a call for sandstone.

5. outofmire

outofmire Well-Known Member

sandstone crumbles easy? Not ours. Though it does split easy if you hit it hard with something. Also, our sandstone doesn't appear porous. I know it is somewhat because it's a sedimentary rock, but not to the naked eye, and it's not porous like a brick.

Shae

6. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...................The firebrick I'm familiar with around north texas is very heavy and dense . There is also another species of very heavy brick made here locally called "pavers" . Hwy 380 from Weatherford , tx to Mineral Wells , tx was built with these Pavers . The hwy. dept. simply paved over them with asphault they were so tough . The old brick hiway was very rough and when wet was Very Slick . These pavers were made out around Gordon tx where there was also oil and coal production from 1880 to around 1930 or so . There was a whole community built out there for several thousand people . They only mined about 15% of the clay deposits so IF pavers ever come back into fashion there is alot of raw material to start production . This type of brick would be very sturdy to build a house from but expensive I would think. fordy.. :)