Homesteading Forum banner

Sandstone question

661 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  fordy 
#1 ·
I have a brick at the farm that look in color like a firebrick, but it is real pourus, cumbles fairly easy, and when run over by the tractor, nearly go back to sand. Does this sound like sandstone? I have firebrick, and it is hard as a rock, it will break, but doesn't crumble. I thought the crumblyt stuff was just a inferior firebrick.

#5 ·
sandstone crumbles easy? Not ours. Though it does split easy if you hit it hard with something. Also, our sandstone doesn't appear porous. I know it is somewhat because it's a sedimentary rock, but not to the naked eye, and it's not porous like a brick.

Shae

#6 ·
...................The firebrick I'm familiar with around north texas is very heavy and dense . There is also another species of very heavy brick made here locally called "pavers" . Hwy 380 from Weatherford , tx to Mineral Wells , tx was built with these Pavers . The hwy. dept. simply paved over them with asphault they were so tough . The old brick hiway was very rough and when wet was Very Slick . These pavers were made out around Gordon tx where there was also oil and coal production from 1880 to around 1930 or so . There was a whole community built out there for several thousand people . They only mined about 15% of the clay deposits so IF pavers ever come back into fashion there is alot of raw material to start production . This type of brick would be very sturdy to build a house from but expensive I would think. fordy.. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.