Sanding rusty nail heads

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Honorine, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I want to start priming the house today, its T1-11, with a dark brown stain, so I'm priming with Kinzers stainblocker primer before applying the latex paint. Do I have to sand the rusty nail heads? I've been researching this project for some time, and have found mixed opinions on the nail heads, would add a lot of extra time to the job. Did get a really good primer, don't think the can says anything about rusty nail head sanding. Want to do the best job possible, don't want rust to bleed thru my green paint, what would you do/have done?

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Lowes and other places sell a "rust converter" Its a spray on chemical that changes rust to a primer like surface. It would be a little time consuming to spray each nail head but not that bad if youre really worried about bleed through. It would be MUCH easier than sanding. You can Google it for more info

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Wal*Marts sells the rust converter in the automotive paint area. Good Luck! Randy

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    "Ospho' is the chemical your needing, it turns rust into a surface protecting sealant.