Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do the cranes nest? Any
of you people from the great white north have them in the summer? There are over 100 of them spending some time here on my farm. I have a 20 acre lake and some wet weather ponds at the back of the farm, and they are feeding in the corn stalks. Afternoons are spent in grassy areas just hangin' out. This is the first year any stayed more than one day, and never this many. The State has a big refuge area for them about 40 miles north west of here. They have as many as 14,000 at one time in the fall. but less in the spring..

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
39,120 Posts
Here on the Gulf Coast of Texas. They are here all summer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Don't know where they nest, but sandhills can commonly been seen in mating pairs, in farm fields across the state of Wisconsin. Really made a comeback.
Wild turkeys are everywhere too.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Thank you so much for posting the National Geographic link on the sandhill cranes. After looking at it, we've decided to take a family field trip later this month from Colorado to Kearney, Nebraska to go see the bird sanctuary on the Platte River! Thanks for the posting on this wonder of spring!
BW

·
Registered
8 Posts
They nest in northern Canada.Farmers don't have much use for Sandhill Cranes as they
migrate north in the spring they tend too put down in farmers newly seeded fields
and scratch the seed out. They stay untill the the weather clears in the north then
move on.

·
Registered
295 Posts
They nest here in northern Wisconsin, too. We have a slough with some drier land which they use in the spring. The slough is wet enough even loons nest there. We catch them doing their mating dance at the end of maple syrup season down in a clearing near the edge.

LisaBug

·
mark an eight, dude!
721 Posts
I have a pair that's been nesting in a sedge marsh in back of my place for a few years now. Ten years ago it was a rare sight to see them anywhere around here, now in late summer they are in every field. I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival! (I'm in east central MN)

·
Registered
448 Posts
uncle Will in In. said:
... The State has a big refuge area for them about 40 miles north west of here. They have as many as 14,000 at one time in the fall. but less in the spring..

You must not be very far from where I am in TN. I live near Pikeville, TN and the refuge is just over near Watts Bar Dam.

The cranes come over our house alot during the colder months heading to the refuge. There's a cow pasture not far from our house here on the mountain and one day those cranes were all over that pasture. Beautiful creatures yet weird looking too. lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts