Sandhill Cranes Where

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by uncle Will in In., Mar 13, 2004.

1. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Where do the cranes nest? Any
    of you people from the great white north have them in the summer? There are over 100 of them spending some time here on my farm. I have a 20 acre lake and some wet weather ponds at the back of the farm, and they are feeding in the corn stalks. Afternoons are spent in grassy areas just hangin' out. This is the first year any stayed more than one day, and never this many. The State has a big refuge area for them about 40 miles north west of here. They have as many as 14,000 at one time in the fall. but less in the spring..

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Here on the Gulf Coast of Texas. They are here all summer.

4. Nitesteamer

Nitesteamer Member

Don't know where they nest, but sandhills can commonly been seen in mating pairs, in farm fields across the state of Wisconsin. Really made a comeback.
    Wild turkeys are everywhere too.

5. East Texas Pine Rooter

East Texas Pine Rooter Well-Known Member

6. BeckyW

BeckyW Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for posting the National Geographic link on the sandhill cranes. After looking at it, we've decided to take a family field trip later this month from Colorado to Kearney, Nebraska to go see the bird sanctuary on the Platte River! Thanks for the posting on this wonder of spring!
    BW

7. Bar-W

Bar-W Member

They nest in northern Canada.Farmers don't have much use for Sandhill Cranes as they
    migrate north in the spring they tend too put down in farmers newly seeded fields
    and scratch the seed out. They stay untill the the weather clears in the north then
    move on.

8. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

There are a lot of them that settle in the middle of Nebraska during the warm weather.

9. LisaBug

LisaBug Well-Known Member

They nest here in northern Wisconsin, too. We have a slough with some drier land which they use in the spring. The slough is wet enough even loons nest there. We catch them doing their mating dance at the end of maple syrup season down in a clearing near the edge.

LisaBug

10. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

I have a pair that's been nesting in a sedge marsh in back of my place for a few years now. Ten years ago it was a rare sight to see them anywhere around here, now in late summer they are in every field. I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival! (I'm in east central MN)

11. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

You must not be very far from where I am in TN. I live near Pikeville, TN and the refuge is just over near Watts Bar Dam.

The cranes come over our house alot during the colder months heading to the refuge. There's a cow pasture not far from our house here on the mountain and one day those cranes were all over that pasture. Beautiful creatures yet weird looking too. lol