Sandburs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Oggie, Oct 6, 2004.

1. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

We're plagued by sandburs. And the children and animals are getting mighty testy about them.

What's the secret to getting rid of them?

2. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

You gotta get to 'em before they come out and spread, in the early spring. MSMA works best, I believe. Too late now I'm afraid; you can kill them with roundup but the burs don't go away for a while.

3. Beststash

Beststash Well-Known Member

Oggie,

A combination approach long term will work......Dig and dispose as many as possible, 912 Herbicide is very effective (and cheap) but there are seeds everywhere - you must get other grass established at some point to choke out the "stickers". Everyone goes through the same thing when they are trying to establish a yard or pasture (especially in sandy soil). Don't give up - and focus on establishing an alternate grass.

4. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Are Sandburs the same as Hucklebuckles here in New England? My cats get them in their fur and i must say, it's the one time they don't get mad at me brushing them. The kids get them on their clothing too!

When I was a kid, we used to pick them and make sculptures out of them - wonder if that's how someone thought of those magnet sculpture toys?????? To only think of a toy like that before someone else.

Tis the Season!

brural

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

If you mean 'goatheads' it is a low growing plant with little yellow flowers, I always pulled all the plants around the house out by hand in the spring. Unfortunately the old ones can hang around for years, still hard and poking into your feet. I've thought about taking a propane weed burner and flaming the ground, but don't know how practical that would be.