Sand point well drilling help????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Pooh1974, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Pooh1974

Pooh1974 Guest

I would like to try aand drill a sand point well. Has anyone done this that can offer me some help/advice. My neighbor had a sand point well drilled for $400, they only needed to go down 25' for good water. We live on a riverbank. The soil is sand/silt with almost no rocks at all. I dug down 9 feet with an excavater for an outhouse and I didn't find even a tiny pebble. Can someone give me some advice or tips and maybe even a cost estimate. Unfortunately my neighbor is of very little help on how his was done.

2. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD0951.html explains it all far better than I could ever hope to.

3. If your thinking of only 25 feet and your outhouse is 9 feet. I hope the 400$ included pump and hookup if not it wasn't a good deal. You might as well pump directly from the river and build a good filter system.

mikell

4. That was the cost for everything, labor sand point all pipes and connections and an old style hand pump.

5. Pooh1974

Pooh1974 Guest

Thanks HOOP! That site was helpful. Have you or anyone actually done a sand point well?

6. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

My husband and I drove a sand point well ourselves for our cabin, which is where we now live. Originally we went down about 18 feet, then when we moved here permanently we went down to about 25 feet. Our soil is sandy loam with lots of rocks; we were pretty lucky we didn't run into one. Originally we had a hand pump, but the leathers either wore out or froze and split so we got an electric pump and pressure tank which worked fine until freezing weather; the whole system is still outdoors and there is no way we can insulate it good enough. So now we are planning to drive another sand point well in the cellar of the house we are building so everything will be indoors.

If your soil is sandy, with no rocks, you could think about putting in the well yourself. It takes some time, but you would save a lot on labor. By the way, some people in our area have drilled wells that go down 150 feet, and they say the water quality isn't nearly as good as our sand point well. Our water is crystal clear, with no iron.

7. francismilker

francismilker Udderly Happy! Supporter

Wanted to bump this old thread to get today's take on it.

8. springvalley

springvalley Family Jersey Dairy Supporter

Most of the time if you have just sandy soil you can drive a sand point , you don`t have to drill anything. 400.00 is kinda high just for the sand point , I to hope that was for pump and preasure tank. Thanks Marc

9. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Paul dug one himself by hand for our 1 year anniversary.