Sand Cherries?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by breezynosacek, Sep 6, 2004.

1. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I keep seeing sand cherry bushes advertised in several different catalogs. I like the idea that they are sweet and cheap and most importantly short (I can't climb ladders).

Does anybody have any experience with them?

How much will they produce? Do you need another type of cherry to cross pollinate?

Is that a good pie cherry? Hubby likes cherry pie and I would love to make some pie filling. We also like banana splits and fruit cake, LOL! I'm also thinking that cherries would be good to dehydrate?

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I've grown both the red and the blacks; I trashed the latter since they tasted like chokecherries to me.

If you can make a pie from them, I'll salute you. I have 2 huge (have to trim them or they're over 12' tall) of the same type so I don't think cross pollination is necessary. I like the flavor but they're not cherries like you buy in the store. I use mine for cordials, jelly and jam; the seeds are monsters but they're a nice June garden snack! Thanks to my grazing, I have oodles of seedlings and they seem to breed true. Pretty light pink flowers in spring and very easy to grow.

HTH,
    katy

3. breezynosacek

Hmm, I think I would like to thank you but I'm not sure what a chokecherry tastes like :haha: !

4. katydidagain

(Don't everyone hit me!) What's a chokecherry taste like? Explore the name. Choke...like an unripe persimmon? Acrid? Ick, IMHO. Maybe enough sugar in the batch would change that. I get confused on the sand cherry names but the red ones aren't bad if you have space. My next place will have unlimited acreage and real cherry trees...dreams.... :)

katy

5. breezynosacek

Now see, I keep seeing that they are sweet and am told they aren't like your tart cherries for pie making. Now the thought of trying another unripe persimmon makes me pucker! That's one thing I don't think anybody will ever forget their entire lives.

I will try some of them. If nothing else, they will feed the critters.

6. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

Katy, I have two different varieties, One was Nanking, and the other, I don't recall. Having a senior moment! YES, you can make a pie from them, but it is very labor intensive. As another poster mentioned, the seeds are very large compared to the fruit, so you have to simmer them, then put them through a food mill or collander to get the fruit separated from the pits. I made about six pints of filling that way, using the same ratio of sugar to fruit as a regular pie recipe (sorry, I can't remember exactly, have to look in a cook book), and then canned the filling. If you have the cherries and the time, it's possible. Jan in CO

7. katydidagain

Gosh, Jan, of course it's possible to make pie with them; see my post about harvesting and you'll see why I don't! :haha:

Hansen's is the other variety, I believe; I have the red ones and they taste quite nice. My folks already have chokecherries and persimmons; with my limited space I can't grow everything.

katy

8. breezynosacek

Well, I sure appreciate you ladies answering my questions on it. I've got plenty of time and a lot of gumption.

9. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

I have Nankings and they make a very acceptable jam although it does requires ome work. They're pretty little shrubs, too. They will come true from seed. ;)

10. ozarkin'it

ozarkin'it Well-Known Member

I bought some last year, the blackish purpole ones, and they absolutly sucked. They tatsed nasty, and I hate them and they are for sale if someone wants em.

11. breezynosacek

Thanks!