Samwise Gamgee would be so proud.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Nan(TX), Feb 8, 2005.

1. Nan(TX)

Nan(TX) Well-Known Member

Well Robert got the seed order off today to Sandhill.We also well be ordering from Seed Savers. This years garden is an open-pollinated no hybrids seeds with heirloom whenever possible. Can’t hardly wait to get in gear and start planting. God willing, the creek don‘t rise and we don‘t have a repeat of the hail storms and monsoon rains of last year. Here is a list of what we orderd.

Watermelon
    Blacktail Mountain-
    76 days- Sandhill’s own development, created when they lived in northern Idaho, a location which has cool 35 to 45 degree nights and short seasons. The fruit is dark green with very faint stripes, flesh is an orange red similar to Sugar Baby. Continuously, it is my earliest type in over 100 varieties grown each season. Fruit averages 6 to 10 pounds. Pkt $1.75; 1 oz. $5.00
    Cherokee Moon and Stars-
    90 days- A nice 30-40 pound, dark green rind with the yellow spotted foliage and fruit. This strain has nice red flesh and is crisp and tasty. Pkt. $1.75
    Orangeglo –
    85 days – Superb tasting. Oblong striped melon with super sweet orange flesh. Fruit averages 15 pounds. Pkt. $2.00 (Limit 1 Pkt.)
    Texas Giant-
    94 days- A large dark green thick rind, Black Diamond type, 40 to 50 pounds. Pkt. $1.25

Eggplant
    Applegreen-
    65 days- A nice flavored, round eggplant. Apple green colored skin. Tasty and easy to slice. Nice dwarf plants are very productive. Pkt. $1.00
    Casper -
    90 days - 8-10 inches long, 2-3 inches in diameter, white skin. Pkt. $1.25
    Rosa Bianca -
    90 days - Light purple with pink fruits, 4-6 inches round. Pkt. $1.25

Tomatoes
    Box Car Willie-
    84 days – Very large, orange red fruits. Excellent yields, fruits weigh about 1 pound.
    Bradley-
    48 days- Determinant plants, very early, producing 2 oz. fruits with compact, heavy yields. Earliest tomato in 300 grown in 1996. (Limit 1 Pkt.)
    Manalucie-
    85 days- Indeterminant plants, 8 oz. fruits, semi-sweet, flattened globe shape.
    Sioux-
    70 days- Semi-determinant, globe shaped canner. Old fashioned type with superb taste.
    Teton de Venus –
    80 days – Indeterminant, large red, heart shaped fruit. Can be up to 2 lbs in some.

Squash
    Benning’s Green Tint-
    58 days- Pale, greenish-white, scalloped-type summer squash. Pkt. $1.75
    Golden Scallop-
    A nice scallop squash, beautiful golden orange color when mature for seed, nice pale yellow when in the edible stage. Pkt. $1.50
    Mandan-
    47 days- Small, round, flattened Native American type. Small vines are heavy producers of these cream colored with green or yellow striped fruits. Average quality, but great insect tolerance. Very variable in fruit type. Pkt. $2.00 (Limit 1 Pkt.)
    Table Dainty-
    65 days - Vining, blocky green/yellow striped. About 6” long. Very productive. Developed in 1909. Pkt. $2.00 (Limit 1 Pkt.)

Melons
    Ha-Ogen-
    85 days - Beautiful and super tasty. Fruits are yellowish with green ribbing and minimal netting. Flesh tastes almost spicy. Pkt. $1.25
    Spear-
    85 days- Large, football shaped melons, superb tasting orange flesh. Pkt. $1.50

2. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Nan, one of those tomato varieties reached out and slapped me beside the head! I may have to ask Glenn Drowns about his Bradley listing. Almost everything is wrong. Determinate vs. indeterminate, 48 days vs. 75, 2" fruit vs. 8 oz. The original Bradley, that I grow, is the latter of those descriptions. I have a feeling that he's growing or developing a cross. Whatever he's got, he's also selecting the very earliest and that's the seed you'll be growing. I'll have to throw this one at the tomato experts on Garden Web.

Martin

3. Nan(TX)

We have had a hard time finding the Bradley. Let me know what you find out.

4. Paquebot

On my Garden Web tomato seed offer, several asked which Bradley I had. We had heard of a 48-day Bradley last year but assumed that it was a typo. The history of the original Bradley was fairly well-known even though it had lost some of its popularity in recent years. And when an entirely different description popped up, it had everyone scratching their heads. I hadn't noticed Glenn's listing in the Sand Hill catalog and he tells it exactly as he sees it from his own grow-outs. Now nobody is certain where it came from but I'm guessing that it also came from Bradley Co, Arkansas where the original came from. Check to see what was said about it on Garden Web today. Everyone is a little more aware of the two now.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0202310325279.html?6

Martin

5. Nan(TX)

Regarding the Bradley tomato
    A couple of years ago while buying my tomato sets I ran across some Bradley tomato plant sets. I like to try different varieties so I bought a six-plant set. They did as well as any of the other tomatoes I had in regard to growth and productivity. They weren’t of any great big size, average producer and pink in colour but I liked them all the same. I put them on my list of tomatoes to plant in the future. Well as it turns out the following years there weren’t any Bradley plant sets. After a couple of years not having success in finding plant sets I turned to growing my own with seeds. To my disappointment however, there were no seed offerings save one, Sand Hill. I was a bit confused though as the catalog had them listed in the red tomato section and not the pink. Now if I understand this thread there are 2 types of Bradley tomatoes pink and red. What I am wanting is the pink I had when I grew them in the summer of 2001. Do any of you all know where I can purchase them?

6. Paquebot

Nan, if you paid attention to all details mentioned in the GW thread, and it appears that you did, you would know that the original faded away due to non-production. Also you will note that it somehow changed from being called a pink to being a red. At this moment, I would say that there may be only two sources of the original. That would be one SSE member and myself. Since I haven't got the 2005 SSE Yearbook, there's no guarantee that the original will be listed again. The one that I have been growing would be the original which was available commercially in the mid-1990s. And that's the one that is in my GW and HT seed offer this year! It would appear that the original Bradley is no longer available. Totally Tomatoes had it last year but it was the red version. Discontinued for 2005 due to seed unavailability. For me, it's only fault was low production. Otherwise it is a darned good tomato and I'd grow it again this year if I had the space.

Martin