Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the official sign up thread for the "Sample Quilt Block Swap".

Deadline to sign up will be until: midnight - October 18, 2014.

Mailing date will December 15th.

The size of the blocks should be 6.5 inches square, so when sewn together they make a 6 inch block.

Pattern: Any pattern

Colors: Any colors you would like.

Wash the fabrics and iron before using the fabric. Gets the sizing chemicals out and pre shrinks it so it will be consistent when later made and washed with the other swap blocks.

Be sure to label each block with your screen name, so we know who made each block. A good tip is to 'baste' them on with a long stitch so it's easy to take out but will travel well in envelopes. Straight pins are not good. Tape comes off too easy. Safety pins are another option, but do add a lot of bulk.

You will be making 1 blocks for each person who signs up + one extra for the hostess.

The hostess for this swap will Kris In MI. She will be contacting each person who signs up, via PM, to give her contact information and you will, in turn, PM her with your contact information.

When you mail, be sure and send them to the hostess with Delivery Confirmation and then post your DC number in the thread.

Also when mailing, be sure you enclose a self-addressed mailer and be sure you have attached enough postage for the return of your package. It's important to not forget this step and don't send the hostess funds to provide your postage -- including enough to cover the return Delivery Confirmation from the hostess. You must attach your own postage! The hostess should be able to just sort, stuff and mail. Also enclose a filled out delivery confirmation label so she can just attach it and mail.

Problems: - we all understand that things happen; however, remember you are making a commitment not to a quilt, but rather to your fellow members. If an emergency does arise, please let Angie or myself know ASAP. We may be able to work with you in severe situations.

The swap is open to all members in good standing.

If you have not participated in a previous swap, please be sure and read all the FAQ about swaps that are posted at the top of this forum.

Have a great time with this one!!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Thanks, Angie, for getting this thread started and giving us the necessary info.

I can't wait to see how many people will be playing along. A 5" block will be new territory for me, but it's really all just a down-sized pattern, right? At least, that's what I keep telling myself. :huh:

Anyway, I'm excited to hostess, to challenge myself with a smaller block than I've every made before, and to see all the beautiful creations you wonderful quilters come up with.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I'm not interested in a 5" block swap, but would consider a 6".

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
6" is okay with me; finding more options in a 6" than a 5"; also easier to just use a 12" pattern with all the pieces downsized by 50%.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I love working with small pieces. I've got a 10" block that ended up with about 175 pieces. In fact, I just found a block I fell in love with that would be really cute at 6"

Should be fun! - Sign me up too!

now hoping a lot more sign up because I'd love to make a whole bunch of this block in different colors.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
Just found the block I want to use in the link above! At least that will make it easier for me, now I won't have to size down the 8" one I have.

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
Sign me up also. Just one block? The last time we did 6" blocks, we each made two per person.

Reactions: Kris in MI

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
So far we have 8 participants. I would be completely fine with doing 2 blocks x 8 (or even 10) people if that is what everyone else would like. Just need to have another executive decision made by a mod :D

·
Registered
7,153 Posts
I'd rather two (up to a total of 24+1). I'd end up needing to make a bunch to fill in anyway if we only do one each.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts