Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, im working on getting our non yet pregnant (never has been) doeling used to the milk stand.... And in fact she has milk!
I tasted it and its salty!!!
She doesn't have mastitis.
I did worm her last week though, would that cause that taste? At this point ill give it to the dog...
Has anyone had this in a not yet milked doeling?

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,191 Posts
Salty taste indicates mastitis. Send sample in for testing as per instructions in sticky at top of this forum.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Does she have a little udder? If she has a bit of development, there is likely a bit of milk like fluid in with normal glandular fluid, which could very well be 'normally' salty.

Generally speaking, leave the udder alone until after they freshen.

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
So, im working on getting our non yet pregnant (never has been) doeling used to the milk stand.... And in fact she has milk!
I tasted it and its salty!!!
She doesn't have mastitis.
I did worm her last week though, would that cause that taste? At this point ill give it to the dog...
Has anyone had this in a not yet milked doeling?
Am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying you are milking a doe who has never kidded? If so, may I ask why?

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
My friend had a Precocious Milker.
Every spring she went into milk and stayed until early winter.
She had been doing that for about 10 years or more.

I got a quart.
It was salty!
And thinnish, but great for my friend's goat milk soaps.

I know that when I was nursing, as I was drying up, my milk got thin and salty.
It may be a hormone thing.

Ok... so I googled Precocious Milker + salty.
Yep... seems common.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Am I understanding you correctly? Are you saying you are milking a doe who has never kidded? If so, may I ask why?
Like I mentioned, I am getting her used to the milk stand. Part of that is being touched, and something came out! Then I realized there was more, the next day we tried it to see if it was edible. I am not milking her for real, just wanted to know what was up.
I think she may be a precocious milker, but not enough for me to put effort into.

She doesnt have mastitis.... She has no signs whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
salty milk is a sign for sub clinical mastitis that can be the only noticeable symptom. The udder does not have to be hot, nor does the milk have to be off or pink.

In your case it could be either way but I can say if you are not cleaning the teats and spraying them you are opening her up to get an infection.

Reactions: Anitajoye

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
salty milk is a sign for sub clinical mastitis that can be the only noticeable symptom. The udder does not have to be hot, nor does the milk have to be off or pink.

In your case it could be either way but I can say if you are not cleaning the teats and spraying them you are opening her up to get an infection.
I definitely cleaned the teats the two times i expressed milk, however i am not milking her currently. I have just gone ahead and gotten her used to being touched, washed but not expressing.
She's taking well to the stand.

Thanks for the input everyone!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts