Salty milk?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by gccrook, Apr 18, 2006.

1. gccrook

gccrook Well-Known Member

One of my does is giving milk that is just slightly salty in taste. It has no off taste other than the saltiness. Any ideas what is causing this? They all have free choice minerals, and eat the same thing, but only this one has the saltiness.

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

Saltiness may indicate mastitis.

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

You say they all eat the same thing, however I noticed mine gave bad tasting milk when I fed them sweet feed. I have heard this from others too. Perhaps your one goat with bad tasting milk is getting more sweet feed than the others, if indeed you are feeding sweet feed. Just a thought.

4. gccrook

Thanks. We thought at first that she had mastitis, but there are no other symptoms of mastitis. The udder is not hot, the milk smells fine, there are no clumps or other stuff in the milk. For all intents and purposes it looks and smell fine, and even tastes fine except for the salt. She is kidded only one week ago, and we have been milking out one side, as her kids seem to favor theother side, and she produces more than they need. We will keep working on it, and trying to keep her milked out. Thanks for the input. I will not rule out mastitis, just keep working on it.

5. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm glad you have not ruled out mastitis.

I am currently treating a goat for mastitis that has shown no symptoms except that her udder was getting smaller on one side. The first test for mastitis was inconclusive but another taken a few days later came up possitive. There are many types on infections that are concidered mastitis you can't always rely on the typical symptoms. If you catch it before it gets too bad you can save yourself and your goat alot of hassle down the road.

All that to say, if I was you I'd test her and retest a time or two to be sure.

6. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

Just a thought, but my goat just had an overdose from her mineral lick. That caused her milk to taste salty. Needless to say, her mineral lick is no longer located near her water.

Heather

7. gccrook

I've thought about that mineral lick. I have one that is close to the water. I haven't noticed any excessive use by her, but then I am not out there all day. Wonder if I move the lick out for a while and continue to monitor the milk. THanks guys.