Salts and meal??

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Kee Wan, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

A neighbor said that if I am growing tomaotes, I should add some epsom salts and bone meal to the planters and garden once a week.....for good production adn good tasting tomaotes.....

Anyone out there got an opinion??

My maters in the garden are mostly planted in maple leaf smashings from last year (It's what I had to fill the garden bed) - adn some dirt and peat...in the panters, more dirt and peat, wiht some leaf stuff.....oh - and some organic hummus and manure - cause it was on sale.....not too much of that though....

2. backwoods

backwoods Well-Known Member

Middle TN, Where the Hilltops Kiss the Sky
    The epsom salts will help prevent blossom end rot and the bone meal will add
    phosphorus.Both will be good adjuncts for your tomatoes and are organic,if that is a concern for you.Good luck.

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I would agree with that too.....however.....I've never heard of adding them every week. The bone meal can be a problem if there are dogs or wildlife around like raccoons. They'll dig up the soil looking for the bones. You could use rock phosphate instead of the bone meal.

4. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

Doesn't wood ash also have phosphates in it?

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I read about boosting peppers and asparagus with epsom salts, but that you shouldn't do it a lot (if at all) because... argh. I can't remember.

Can't find the article, either.

Anyone else recall this?

Pony!

6. backwoods

I think epsom salts is a source of magnesium and to much will make skins thick and tough.All salts will build up in the soil if overused.Could that be it Pony?

7. backwoods

Oh yeah Dahc,wood ashes are a good source of phosphate as is rock phosphate.I go with the one that is readily available.In the spring I have a lot of ashes but they run out pretty fast as I sheet compost them over the whole garden.

8. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup, thanks, Backwoods! That was it -- the buildup in the soil.

I wonder what other sources of magnesium are out there...

Pony!

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

Wood ash contain a great deal more lime than it does potash or phosphorus so if your garden soil is at or near neutral it should be used cautiously. Bone meal breaks down fairly slowly so I don't see much point in adding it to the tomato soil but once right when they are planted. Epsom salt (manesium sulfate) can be a good thing in small amounts. I typically add a tablespoon to a gallon of water when I'm fertilizing every three to four weeks.

.....Alan.